The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
rudey737

Steering Rebuild Issue

I'm almost done with rebuilding my entire front end - ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and the whole steering - inner & outer tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm. I took the whole thing out to clean it up, paint it, and install the replacement parts.

I tried to install everything tonight - based on the write up on 73-87.com. I could get everything but the pitman arm to line up on the center link. The inner tie rods & outer tie rods were rebuilt to the same specs as the old ones. The outer tie rods were attached to the spindles, the inner tie rods were attached to the center link, the idler arm was attached to the frame and the center link, but the pitman arm wasn't matching up with the center link.

I tried moving the idler arm back and forth to help with the alignment of the center link & pitman arm, but that will most likely make my tie rods off. I'm thinking about clocking the pitman arm straight toward the back, straightening my wheel, attaching the center link to the pitman arm & idler arm, and then setting my spindles with the tie rod ends as close as possible to the correct toe in with a tape measure. Will this get me to an alignment shop, or does anyone have any other suggestions.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
rudey737

Re: Steering Rebuild Issue

So I'm leaving work in about an hour, and then I'll be working on finishing my steering. I'm posting one more time in hopes that someone can help a little bit. Here's a bit more information: When I took my pitman arm off, I didn't notice which way it was clocked. I did pull in straight, and because of the notches in the pitman arm I can only go straight back or 90, 180, or 270 degrees from there. Since the wheels were straight and I haven't moved my steering wheel, I think I'm going to clock the pitman arm straight back and then adjust everything to that. Any thoughts from anyone out there? I just want to finish this job, but I don't want to make a huge mistake.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Yes, install the pitman arm straight in line front to back, then swing your wheels slightly whichever direction is needed until the pitman arm spud drops into the center link. It will all work out when you get it aligned and they set the toe-in.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
rudey737

Thanks, Kevin. You've been a big help to me during the process of lowering my truck and, now, making the front end as new as possible.

I did exactly what you said and it worked out great. It's on an alignment rack as I type this. I think I was too tired and frustrated on Sunday night to figure out the simplest of tasks to get the center link mounted to the pitman arm and idler arm.