The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Painter D

L99 fuel pressure ?

Anyone know if the fuel pressure on a 2012, 6.2 (L99) needs to be the same as other LS based engines?

Will the Corvette fuel filter achieve the correct pressure for this motor like it does for other LS series engines?

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: L99 fuel pressure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter D View Post
Anyone know if the fuel pressure on a 2012, 6.2 (L99) needs to be the same as other LS based engines?

Will the Corvette fuel filter achieve the correct pressure for this motor like it does for other LS series engines?
as far as I'm aware, the rail pressure for all the LS motors is the same, barring the flex fuel engines (~58psi vs ~42)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Painter D

Thanks.

Anybody else?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
dayj1

Quote:

Stock fuel pressure for an L99 is 58 psi.

The Corvette filter/regulator output is 58 psi.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Hart_Rod

Quote:

58 PSI. You have to get the correct Corvette FPR, there's a 42 PSI (LS1 3 bar) and a 58 PSI (LS2 + 4 bar)...
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Painter D

Thanks for the help guys

Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
68c10airstream

Hi painter D, I cleaned the injectors on my co-workers 5.3 in a 2009 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup. I monitored fuel pressure before i hooked up my injector cleaning machine and this is what i found; cold start up about 60 psi, and once warmed up at curb idle it was about 42 psi. I believe this is a pulse width modulated (PWM) fuel pump system. engineers went to this system to extend fuel pump life with less load at times. Case in point is this: Going downhill, throttle closed, injectors will shut off (called decel enleanment) and there is no need for fuel pressure at this time so why deadhead the pump, just shut it off. The spec i read if remembered correctly was PWM pumps last twice as long as non-PWM fuel pumps. This co-workers truck did not have an external filter anywhere as i believe it is internal in the tank and i call it a basket style. I see a lot of projects use hptuners, efi live, etc for programming, but if it was me i would use what gm did and benefit from their hard work. Aftermarket parts and programming has done wonders for all of this, i just feel that a lot of times the oem stuff gets overlooked and never considered. Good luck, Brian Fuller
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
I see a lot of projects use hptuners, efi live, etc for programming, but if it was me i would use what gm did and benefit from their hard work. Aftermarket parts and programming has done wonders for all of this, i just feel that a lot of times the oem stuff gets overlooked and never considered. Good luck, Brian Fuller
You lose me here. What oem stuff is overlooked?
All the people I know who work for GM or supporting companies, use either HPT or EfiL to tune their own cars and projects.

As an example, the defueling "feature" you mention is great for stock uses, however it can be dangerous to a performance vehicle. If you go WOT and have to rapidly lift, you put the engine into that condition (0 throttle decel) and shut the injectors off, you lose the cooling effect that the fuel has on the engine in said condition. Going lean in that condition is normal, but that can be a dangerous lean. Yes GM did a lot of engineering and did some great stuff with it, but the aftermarket has put tons of specialty r&d into things as well, finding solutions to fill the gap that GM left.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote