The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
68shortwide

who has the best lowering components?

New to the forum and as the name says I'm building a 68 shortbox Chevy and I want to drop it enough to look cool and handle better, I'm 17 and on a somewhat budget so bags are out of the picture. I see drop spindles and springs in the lmc catalog but don't know the quality of them, so I figured I'd see what you guys were runnin.
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
ahsom79vette

Re: who has the best lowering components?

Chumai (hello), Welcome to the forum.
I've been looking into lowering my c20 also, for stance and handling. Usually if you just type in what you're researching into the search at the top of the page (make sure that only this forum is selected for results) you should get more than enough info. Lots of people have done or asked what you're looking into doing.
Good luck and include some before/after pics...
1971 Chevy C20 Longhorn (6.6L, 402c.i.);
1973 Chevy K20, 4x4, std. cab, longbed (5.7L);
1979 Chevy Corvette (5.7L);
2001 Chevy Xtreme S-10, ex-cab, 5spd. (4.3L);
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 4x4, ex-cab, (6.0L);
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, ex-cab, 4-6drop (4.8L);
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, 4x4, std. cab, 5spd. (4.8L);
2004 Chevy Colorado Z71, 4x4, crew cab, (3.5L);
2006 HUMMER H3, 4x4, 5spd., (3.5L).
ahsom79vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
New to the forum and as the name says I'm building a 68 shortbox Chevy and I want to drop it enough to look cool and handle better, I'm 17 and on a somewhat budget so bags are out of the picture. I see drop spindles and springs in the lmc catalog but don't know the quality of them, so I figured I'd see what you guys were runnin.
Lowering a truck correctly is not cheap but buying parts twice can be far more expensive than buying them once. Early Classic Enterprises is expensive but everything they sell is made in the USA, not china like that crap from LMC.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Lowering a truck correctly is not cheap but buying parts twice can be far more expensive than buying them once. Early Classic Enterprises is expensive but everything they sell is made in the USA, not china like that crap from LMC.
Awesome, Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
powell72

Early Classic Ent. by far, with customer service to match.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Ekliptix

I second Early classic enterprises. Parts and support seems good.

My only grip with them is:
Their instructions for the rear are a bit incomplete, causing some frustration during install.
Their front shocks seem too soft, since my inner tire hits the fender over road bumps/drops.

Here's my install thread if you're interested: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=612794
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
67ctener

Ece is pretty much the standard for static drop kits, can't go wrong
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
lchall

Not sure what parts you would be looking for, but I am getting ready to list a complete ECE 4/6 drop setup on here/Craigslist in the next week or so. It was just mocked up on my frame, never ran. I've decided to change to a Porterbuilt setup on air. I'm in St. Chuck so would only be about 10 miles away. You'd save a fortune on shipping costs, this suspension stuff is heavy.
1991 Ford F-150
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
lchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
69lsxc10

I used mcghaughys .. saved $ and every part fit good and works well.
1969 C10 SWB -- LS 5.3 4L60E , CC LT HEADERS, 2.5" X-PIPE ,P&P THROTTLE BODY, CAI, ELECTRIC FANS, 3:73 GEARS, TRAC LOCK, 22" BOYDS , VINTAGE AIR, DAKOTA DIGITAL, 2013 LTZ LEATHER SEATS, PIONEER DD NAVI, 4.5˝ FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, MCGAUGHYS DISK BRAKE CONVERSION 2.5 DROP SPINDLE 6/8 STATIC DROP .
69lsxc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 AM   #10
Russ.W.

I was in the same boat, and after countless searches on this forum and the web in general, I also went with ECE (Early Classic Enterprises).

I went for a simple 2" drop spindles for the front (with their front disc brake conversion), as well as drop shackles for the rear leaf springs.

Haven't installed them yet (trucks not ready for them), but their prices were decent; the kits were complete (not always the case with some vendors); the parts look and feel very well made; and the customer service was top notch.

What kind of drop you want may be a deciding factor. Basic 2" drop all around, or a 4-5 drop to get it as low as possible without cutting frames etc. The type of drop you want will effect price as well as vendor/manufacturer. Other things like keeping current and desired brakes, as well as intended use of the truck, will come into play as to which kit you buy.

A search of the forum will help you decide the best route to take for your needs.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Sklptrljay

Early Classics has outstanding customer service and high quality products. Can't go wrong with them.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchall View Post
Not sure what parts you would be looking for, but I am getting ready to list a complete ECE 4/6 drop setup on here/Craigslist in the next week or so. It was just mocked up on my frame, never ran. I've decided to change to a Porterbuilt setup on air. I'm in St. Chuck so would only be about 10 miles away. You'd save a fortune on shipping costs, this suspension stuff is heavy.
Not sure I'm lookin to go that far, was thinkin 2/4 or 3/5 but ill give it some thought, how much are you lookin to get?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
I was in the same boat, and after countless searches on this forum and the web in general, I also went with ECE (Early Classic Enterprises).

I went for a simple 2" drop spindles for the front (with their front disc brake conversion), as well as drop shackles for the rear leaf springs.

Haven't installed them yet (trucks not ready for them), but their prices were decent; the kits were complete (not always the case with some vendors); the parts look and feel very well made; and the customer service was top notch.

What kind of drop you want may be a deciding factor. Basic 2" drop all around, or a 4-5 drop to get it as low as possible without cutting frames etc. The type of drop you want will effect price as well as vendor/manufacturer. Other things like keeping current and desired brakes, as well as intended use of the truck, will come into play as to which kit you buy.

A search of the forum will help you decide the best route to take for your needs.
Basically I just want to use it as a driver, something interesting to stand out a bit but clean and simple at the same time. Just a SBC or ls with discs all four corners, no trim and prolly black in color, still looking at wheels, what's the max width I can go with and without minitubs?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
Their front shocks seem too soft, since my inner tire hits the fender over road bumps/drops.
Hey Ekliptix, are you running a 7" or 8" wide rally wheel up front, and what size tire?

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
leddzepp

I have all CPP components on my 5/7 drop, will do the same thing again if I buy another truck.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
lchall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
Not sure I'm lookin to go that far, was thinkin 2/4 or 3/5 but ill give it some thought, how much are you lookin to get?
I would start off by looking though the forum for pics of a truck or two that has the stance you are a looking to achieve. If you post that up people can help you figure out what components you need to achieve that stance. The stance will be a combination of the amount of drop and your wheel/tire combo. ECE also has stance pics for their various drop kits that would be a great starting place.

http://www.earlyclassic.com/tech.asp...nce%20Photos-2

Once you get that figured out its really just a matter of how you approach it and the parts you want to use/upgrade.

I'm still in the process of breaking everything down, as I said I probably would have listed in the next couple of weeks. You live so close I thought I'd let you know and see what you'd be interested in. Here's a rough starter list of what I will have
  • ECE 4/6 Drop Kit - Complete drop kit minus the spindles as shown on ECE site. I went with a CPP brake kit so I have their Modular spindles and 2" drop springs. Has the bent super track bar to allow a larger differential cover. Springs, u-bolts, and rear spring retainers have been powdercoated silver. I would also consider selling the CPP brake kit. 13" big brake kit front/rear w/ red powdercoated calipers.
  • ECE Front Sway Bar
  • ECE Extreme Drop Trailing Arm Crossmember
  • ECE Trailing Arms
  • ECE Quick Ratio Steering Gearbox w/ Rag Joint
  • All Front End Rebuild Components - Bought from ECE, but are MOOG components.
  • Powdercoated black rebuilt upper/lower control arms and crossmember.
  • Probably a number of other parts I am missing.
Like I said it really comes down to how you want to approach your project and the parts you want to upgrade. Take a look and let me know what you might be interested in.
1991 Ford F-150
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
lchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
farmallboy15

I just got a y pipe for the same manifolds from Waldron's exhaust.
farmallboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #18
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Hey Ekliptix, are you running a 7" or 8" wide rally wheel up front, and what size tire?
To clarify the rubbing I mentioned with my ECE kit, my tires are all 275/60/15. They are pretty wide, so that could be a big part of the front rubbing over bumps. I'm also an extra 0.5" lower in the front from using an optional 2" drop coil from ECE.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote