The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
aaronh33

starter problems causing high voltage?

Kinda new on here and have a few questions. First off i have a 1986 k20 with a 350 in it. So the other day my starter decided to stop working. So I went to the parts store and bought another stock replacement. Replaced the new one the same way the old one was and when I went to start the truck I noticed that the gauge was reading 16-17 volts. It was running at 13-14 volts before. So I found that one of the wires was kind of pinched I straightened it and tried to start it again and noticed that the gauge read about 14-15 volts. Seemed kinda high to me, but thought it would be OK. Thought there might be some drag on the starter so i tried changing the shims around to see if it would get any better, it did not. Took it for a short drive to see how it would run, shut it off a few times to make sure it would start again and it worked fine. Now this morning I went to start it and the starter engages and turns but the motor won't start. Any ideas as to what could cause this? Did the high voltage cause some unseen problems? Any help is appreciated.
aaronh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: starter problems causing high voltage?

It is possible you accidentally fixed a growing corrosion problem in the starter area when you replaced the starter. It is also possible that the other issues happened totally coincidentally with the starter replacement. Maybe the alternator is near end of life or has corrosion issues on its wires.

Check for voltage at the distributor. Chase all of the wires connected to the solenoid. It is possible that you pulled the far end of one loose while replacing the starter.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote