The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Chris04

Where to buy aftermarket manual Columns?

Hey guys I got a 3 on tree manual column in my 70. I have replaced the bushings and it fixed some of the slack but it jams all the time and doesn't want to go into gear especially 2nd and I will eventually tear it apart and prob fix all the issues. But I noticed on eBay and other company's make a automatic aftermarket ranging from $300 to 800 bucks but all I can find is automatic columns! Do they not make manual columns? Or I just can't seem to find them. I would rather just buy a new column than rebuild mine but not having any luck finding anything. So any suggestions of who sells them? Thanks

Chris
Chris04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
diggerbob

Re: Where to buy aftermarket manual Columns?

back when I had a three on the tree I had a lot of hang ups while shifting. I bought a shift tube, installed it and it cured all my woes.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
kitsbeach

I don't know if anyone sells new columns but there is a good article here describing how to adjust the three on the tree:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Chris04

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerbob View Post
back when I had a three on the tree I had a lot of hang ups while shifting. I bought a shift tube, installed it and it cured all my woes.
Shift tube? Where did you get it? Thanks for help
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
I don't know if anyone sells new columns but there is a good article here describing how to adjust the three on the tree:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307
Yea I already read this everything is lined up and I already replaced all rubber bushings down to the transmission also but something isn't quiet right in column the sleeve and stuff moves around almost like something is loose in column, and I would like to keep it a manual when it works I love it just aggravating sometimes, my pa in law has a 72 and his is so smooth and never jams. Thanks for help tho man
Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
hugger6933

Did you loosen the shifter pins then insert a 1/8th drill bit and tighten it back up like the sticky say in the FAQ section of the 67-72 home page site? On my 70 it was as bad as anyone had ever seen and we adjusted the shifter and ALL shifter functions returned to normal without the need for the bushings.
Now to tell you what I did once I got my 3OOT shifter adjusted I then decided I wanted to go with a T-5 trans in this truck and I had a van tilt column that I had gotten on the cheap cause the shifter retention pin was wallowed out and had loads of slack. What I did next was I welded the holes on the metal shroud on the top piece to fill in the holes ground them down smooth and on the big knot where the shifter was I ground it off with a die grinder and filled it with short hair fiber strand[ fiberglass infused body filler] on the bottom where the shifter arm came out of the tube I moved it over to the park position and tack welded the arm to the tube so it could never move again. Once all of that was done I sanded and primed all of the tilt column with high build primer in preparation to paint it the color of the inside of my truck or black and I have not yet come to that decision yet. Now what it looks like is a factory floor shift tilt column for a 70 model truck that instead of $450 I have about $50 in. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Chris04

Yea I did man everything was lined up like I said it's something in the column where the shifter is