The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Ocho702

Oil pan

I have a 1967 gmc truck that I'm putting a ls1 5.3 in it. What oil pan will fit and not interfere with the original frame?
Ocho702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Oil pan

The stock 5.3 pan will fit, but will hang a couple inches lower than the crossmember...(ok in a pinch, for a stock height truck) ? I used the GMPP "hotrod" pan kit, & a purchase through summit or jegs will get you the pan/gasket/pickup tube/dipstick & hardware for around 150 bones! Blow the dust out, & bolt it on,no fuss, no hassle Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho702 View Post
I have a 1967 gmc truck that I'm putting a ls1 5.3 in it. What oil pan will fit and not interfere with the original frame?
Which is it, an LS1, or a 5.3?

The LS1 would usually be the fbody pan, which itself fits decent in the truck frames.

The 5.3 has the truck style pan, and just as Longhorn said, would hang below the xmember.

The Hot Rod pan is sometimes also called the LH8 pan or the H3a pan. Its larger like the truck pan, but hangs about even with the crossmember.

The LS1 and Ls2 GTO's also had pans that fit tighter, like the Fbodies.

The 'vettes have dry sump, but if your willing to spend the $$ it can be done.

Any of the above will interchange, the biggest differences being how they hang in comparison to the crossmember, and the width/shape of the "belly" of the pan.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Ocho702

It's a 5.3 that came out of a 2005 avalanche. So if my plans is to put an air ride suspension which oil pan should I go with? I really appreciate all the info you guys are giving me. I'm new to restoring so any and all information is so very appreciated
Ocho702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

cts-v pan is what I used... and it has good clearance and was about the cheapest GM pan I could find at the time...
Evil Twin - 2006 Suzuki M109R
EvilDmax- 2018 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho702 View Post
It's a 5.3 that came out of a 2005 avalanche. So if my plans is to put an air ride suspension which oil pan should I go with? I really appreciate all the info you guys are giving me. I'm new to restoring so any and all information is so very appreciated
Do you have any plans of using a dropmember or pancaked crossmember? They change the dimensions a little when compared to stock stuff.

The basic wisdom is that you don't want anything to hang below the xmember, on a bagged truck. This would mean the Fbody, CTSV, GTO or aftermarket "car" style pans will probably be what you want. You can get away with the hot rod/lh8 pan if its staying on the stock xmember.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote