The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
red70
Account Suspended

Parts business

Hey guys I was wanting to try and get into the parts business part time to supplement income and was wandering what are some tips to have and also what would be good to sell as far as used parts wise? I do not in know way want to get in the way of the big parts sellers on this site I just want to sell some used parts and maybe some specialty parts. What would be something that can be fabricated that's not reproduced that could be a market for?

Thanks

Bryce
red70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
jjdowney

Re: Parts business

Steering wheels
jjdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
JointTech

any body panel if it actually fits. people would pay big money for non crap patch panels.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
seattle gmc

power stering brackets for inline 6, GMC core support, high hump trans tunnel, maniforld stove and heat riser tube for air cleaner. The list could be endless.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
red70
Account Suspended

Ok guys what would be ideal to sell used parts wise
red70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
flashed

Just be aware of shipping costs ,shipping has gotten expensive and can cost as much or more than the part you are selling .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like before you start into this business you meed to learn it. Posting this thread is a start,but you should just spend a lot of time reading ads from various sources on the various parts as much as possible. You will gain your own feel for what is needed in the market,what is in demand,and what the range of pricing is. Better wait till you're well established and successful before an attempt at producing any reproduction parts. The cost to develop that first piece is astronomical. You'll learn that is the reason a part is not yet made. The producer needs to know demand is there enough to be profitable.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

Forget specialty parts you would put yourself in a niche that may just send you straight to bankruptcy . Buy every "junk truck " you can find and park them to part out later (like 10-20 years from now ) There is no immediate gratification in the parts business ask anyone who is already in the business and they will tell you .What you may see as SUPER COOL AND A MUST HAVE ITEM may not be what the masses want it takes due diligence and knowledge of your customer base and $$$$ And in this economy the mortgage comes first and specialty parts last. Start out by selling original used parts ,Anything small enough to send by USPS (shipped from home every trip to the post office/UPS takes time and gas ) goes on E-bay ( don't forget about listing and shipping/ costs ). Anything large sell thru Craigslist .Start small and keep notes of what it really costs in time and money before you start counting your millions of $ in profit .most guys are just selling off their extra parts to buy the next needed part and still keep the wife happy !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Forget specialty parts you would put yourself in a niche that may just send you straight to bankruptcy . Buy every "junk truck " you can find and park them to part out later (like 10-20 years from now ) There is no immediate gratification in the parts business ask anyone who is already in the business and they will tell you .What you may see as SUPER COOL AND A MUST HAVE ITEM may not be what the masses want it takes due diligence and knowledge of your customer base and $$$$ And in this economy the mortgage comes first and specialty parts last. Start out by selling original used parts ,Anything small enough to send by USPS (shipped from home every trip to the post office/UPS takes time and gas ) goes on E-bay ( don't forget about listing and shipping/ costs ). Anything large sell thru Craigslist .Start small and keep notes of what it really costs in time and money before you start counting your millions of $ in profit .most guys are just selling off their extra parts to buy the next needed part and still keep the wife happy !
Well Put Grumpy!
Here are a few thoughts from someone that did just what your thinking about in order to buy some buckets and a console for my truck. Now Im trying to buy a building for my new house and its a ways off still.

Ive sold a lot of parts on here and have appreciated all the support! I am in no way getting rich or even comfortable with what I've made from the 20 or so trucks Ive done.
First things first...
1. Its a ton of work so you have to enjoy the work and have the time, ask Randy (Teeitup)
2. Tools! Youll need them and you'll break them.
(torch/plasma/Air Compressor) all speed up the work but also cost (profits) and break!

Best part of doing this...
1. Meeting people
2. Selling parts has allowed me to purchase alot of trucks and some tools. I get the pick of the best parts for myself and future builds too. I will say its taken me almost 2-3 years to amass the hoard I currently have and for every part I sell... I need space for 2 of them that wont.

Worst part of doing this...
Space for what isnt selling and trucks you buy that havent bee parted yet! Especially if your starting out because everyone dosent know you. You'll need money to buy trucks when they are avaliable to buy. (There is always a good deal when you have the least money) There are other downsides too like; Tire kickers, people that speak for parts and pay later or not at all, Organization issues, TIME...TIME...TIME both away from the family, honey do lists and in my case... Mowing my 6 Acres and yard work.

You cant do this for the money at this point (rare and NOS desirable parts are getting too scarce) and evey part thats worth producing is already being done. Companies like LMC and the other big names make what moves and generates money, everything else is going to cost and the spread in demand and affordability are too far apart. It has to be to get more parts, make a little money and meet people.

If your going to start a business its time to look at square bodies or something newer that still has the abundance of parts.

When the GM dealerships all closed that would have been your best chance to hoard new and NOS stuff. IMHO we have all missed the bus. (well... some of us) LOL There are a few people out there with a huge stash of new parts that will only grow in their desirability and asking price.

I wish you the best and hope you find the nich your looking to fill.
*Remember...if your not having fun the result isnt worth the effort.

Sorry, but I got on a roll!

Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

My main issue is not the money it takes to pick up a few old parts trucks here and there as much as it is the TIME. Working a full time job, being grandpa and spending time with the family all need my time. Sleeping takes up a little more of it. When we go out to buy, i usually have two or three lined up in case the first one does not pan out. Gas, food, the occassional motel room and wear & tear on the truck and yourself also factor in on top the cost of the truck you are chasing. Just my experiences. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

Red70 if you really want to make some quick cash google warehouseone.net they sell overstocks and pallets of tools along with just about anything else cheap they are only in Crossville right up the road from you and buy a couple pallets of tools and relist them on craigslist at twice what you paid for them which is still way below retail , No shipping ,no Bs , people will come to you to pick them up and pay you cash on the spot , Think chainsaws/gas post hole diggers/log splitters /full size motorcycle lifts / equipment no hand tools ... that's quick cash in hand and their close to you ... I bought tractor trailers full of equipment from Home depot /WW Grainger/Loews/Sears /Harbor freight and made a minimum of 100% profit on every piece .Everybody buys tools the market for specialty truck parts only deals with a small percentage of the population ! Think volume sell them cheap and sell them fast !

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-23-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote