The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
jabborabbo

Gonna make a move driving my '67 GMC....

Want opinions/suggestions/comments...gonna drive 700 miles to Texas towing a Volvo S40 on a car dolly. Truck has a 250 L6 with three on the tree and drum brakes all around. I have a new step bumper bolted on the frame that purportedly will handle 800 lb tongue weight and 8000 lb trailer weight, which I kinda suspect that the car dolly/Volvo combination is considerably below that limit. I installed a plug and go trailer light harness and I've done all the routine maintenance in the last year (repacked wheel bearings, drained and filled radiator, differential, and standard transmission, greased steering gear and suspension components, checked brakes and fluid) and the tires are less than a year old. Any suggestions on anything else? I've put 5000 trouble free miles on it since I bought it last year (other than replacing the water pump which was put on it back when it had 43000 miles in the late 70's...YIKES)...any suggestions that will minimize the odds that something majorly crappy happens between here and there will be greatly appreciated! The trip will be about 100 miles of two/four lane state roads and 600 miles of Interstate travel with no major hills/mountains to worry about.

Thanks!
jabborabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 AM   #2
70blackfish

Re: Gonna make a move driving my '67 GMC....

make sure the battery is good. and have a good spare tire for the truck and two for tow dolly. and carful braking. lots of distance from the car in front.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I'd carry extra water, extra gasoline, and whatever you normally carry to handle 2-legged varmints. It's a good idea to know all the laws concerning handling those 2 legged varmints also.

Road flares, extra engine oil, 5 lbs CO2 fire extinguisher, blankets, flashlight...but I carry all that anyway. Black tape and road map. I know you young guys love your GPS but that fails. A map and compass will never fail you.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't see a problem with that at all. Just stop and check things out from time to time and watch your speed. I never tow my trailer over 60 MPH no matter what the speed limit is. I have had so many people pass me doing 70-80 MPH pulling a trailer and down the road you see them pulled over to the side of the road with a shredded (or missing) tire.

Some people will Poo-Poo you for towing with a bumper hitch but there have been a lot of trailers pulled a lot of miles with that very setup. A tow dolly should put less stress on the bumper than a trailer and the s40 can't weigh much over 3,000#.

Good luck on your move....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
67chevy1series

When ever I take trips in my 67 I have my smaller tool boxes, extra engine oil, extra fluid for the trans, brake fluid, battery cables, my skate board, 5 gallon gas jug, spare tire, extra belts for alt and water pump and I have an HEI so I keep a spare module in the glove box. Outside if that I can't think of anything else besides extra bulbs for taillights and parking lights
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
71swb4x4

The only thing that concerns me is your ability to stop. That much weight will take a while to get stopped with your brake setup, and anyone in front of you that needs to stop quickly will do it A LOT faster than you will. Make sure you leave a lot of room between you and the person in front of you. If people cut you off make sure you back off right away and get your following distance increased quickly.
In 1967 everyone was on a level playing field, pretty much all vehicles were stopping with four wheel drum brakes. Today you are competing against vehicles with four wheel disc brakes, ABS, and much lighter rigs than the 7000+ pounds that you are trying to slow down.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Drive like a trucker

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

If you don't yet have a dolly, I strongly advise one with brakes.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Nice thing is you have leafs in the rear since its a GMC. Like Sean pointed out, your brakes are the biggest concern but can probably be managed with distances.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
jabborabbo

Thanks for all the replys and good info! The following distance seems to be a common concern - and a really good one. I've already been working on that (along with lane changing habits) since I got the truck. I started riding motorcycles when I was 14 a long long time ago, and I find myself having the same motorcycle riding mindset when I'm in the truck - focussed and watching out for all the idiots on the road that want to kill me.

I also decided that since I've had to replace the radiator, water pump and all the hoses in the last year that the heater core could go next, so I'm gonna take a couple of gallons of coolant and I stopped at the local hardware store and bought this so I can join the heater hoses together if I have a problem with it (actually, everyone should have a set like this in the glovebox):
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Fix a flat.2 or 3 cans at least.Even with good spares I usually carry one or two.It's been a great help when I needed to get over or a couple hundred yards down the road to a safe place to change a tire.The tire guys don't like the mess but I'm OK with that,I 'm not a tire guy.
If you haven't replaced brakes, I would at least check them and bleed/flush to new fluid. Brake fluid attracts water and it doesn't work as well with water boiling in it.Add a spare fuel filter to your trouble kit and a piece or two of rubber fuel line.
Stop right outside of town and check your hitch and straps,stop fifty miles later and check again,then every two hours.It will help you stay alert,be sure nothing has shook loose and give those drums a few to cool.You'll need to top off the rad if you don't have an overflow.

Don't forget the cell phone and if you have a tablet or laptop,there is a volunteer list on the BB to help members who have wound up in a bind get their cart out of the ditch.Might be a good Idea to look it up and figure out how to work it so if the worst comes to worst,you'll at least have someone to laugh with you.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Fix a flat.2 or 3 cans at least.Even with good spares I usually carry one or two.It's been a great help when I needed to get over or a couple hundred yards down the road to a safe place to change a tire.The tire guys don't like the mess but I'm OK with that,I 'm not a tire guy.
If you haven't replaced brakes, I would at least check them and bleed/flush to new fluid. Brake fluid attracts water and it doesn't work as well with water boiling in it.Add a spare fuel filter to your trouble kit and a piece or two of rubber fuel line.
Stop right outside of town and check your hitch and straps,stop fifty miles later and check again,then every two hours.It will help you stay alert,be sure nothing has shook loose and give those drums a few to cool.You'll need to top off the rad if you don't have an overflow.

Don't forget the cell phone and if you have a tablet or laptop,there is a volunteer list on the BB to help members who have wound up in a bind get their cart out of the ditch.Might be a good Idea to look it up and figure out how to work it so if the worst comes to worst,you'll at least have someone to laugh with you.
More good advice! Thank you sir! Where is the volunteer list? I should have already joined it!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
El Campo

Where at in Texas are you moving to? If something goes wrong and you aren't still in Tennessee haha let me know and I will come bring the Powerstroke and help you out. I have many times been stuck or stranded and would be happy to help you out (unless you are moving to Dallas,jkjkjk sorry couldn't resist). I pulled a 24 foot car hauler from Ft Stockton to El Paso (about 250 miles) with a half flat/half rotten/14 year old spare (on the back axle of my old Ford that got stolen) on a Sunday in August a while back and let me tell you it is not fun. Oh and one other thing you may want to check is to be absolutely positive your park brake works. You potentially have 45 year old brake hoses which will not like your trailer and while a park brake is a piss poor excuse for brakes it is certainly better than none if you blow a hose. Best of luck with your move!
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Where at in Texas are you moving to? If something goes wrong and you aren't still in Tennessee haha let me know and I will come bring the Powerstroke and help you out. I have many times been stuck or stranded and would be happy to help you out (unless you are moving to Dallas,jkjkjk sorry couldn't resist). I pulled a 24 foot car hauler from Ft Stockton to El Paso (about 250 miles) with a half flat/half rotten/14 year old spare (on the back axle of my old Ford that got stolen) on a Sunday in August a while back and let me tell you it is not fun. Oh and one other thing you may want to check is to be absolutely positive your park brake works. You potentially have 45 year old brake hoses which will not like your trailer and while a park brake is a piss poor excuse for brakes it is certainly better than none if you blow a hose. Best of luck with your move!
I'll be moving to Palestine...it's kinda halfway between Dallas and Houston. The parking brake works well...I've had to use the parking brake a couple of times in my life but not yet in this truck.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
El Campo

Good catfishing up in Lake Palestine! I used to go to both Tyler and Longview a lot. Nice place to move to. Plan on buying a boat haha. And plan on taking the railroad for a day trip sometime.
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #16
jabborabbo

Made it to Texas! Didn't tow that Volvo, though...I rented a dolly, hooked it up, got the car strapped down on it, and went into town towing it. After coming close to rear-ending 3 different cars at red lights, I decided that I didn't have the brakes or the experience necessary to safely pull that much weight.

Truck made the trip just fine - no problems whatsoever!
Old 09-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Thanks for the follow up. Was curious how it was going with the drum brake 1/2 ton setup. Sounds like you made the right choice but how did the Volvo get to TX?

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #18
ole dollor

welcome to Texas....glad you made it ok.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Welcome home. Be sure to update your location in your profile!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #20
jabborabbo

Thanks for the Texas hospitality! The Volvo rode on a dolly behind a UHaul...and the inner fender cut through two different tire straps...and the right inside tire on the UHaul came apart...and what should have been a 12 hour trip turned into a 22 hour trip with no sleep....

My '67 GMC made it in 12 hours....
Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #21
Acorn

Welcome to The Lone Star state!
Every one here gave great advice. (As usual)
The only thing I was going to ad is check your fluids and clean your windshield and check your loadevery time you stop for gas. But it sounds like you did the smartest thing anyone could do by taking it for a short test drive and learning both your and your trucks limitations. Glad you made it safe!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #22
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
Welcome to The Lone Star state!
Every one here gave great advice. (As usual)
The only thing I was going to ad is check your fluids and clean your windshield and check your loadevery time you stop for gas. But it sounds like you did the smartest thing anyone could do by taking it for a short test drive and learning both your and your trucks limitations. Glad you made it safe!
Thank you sir! Now...what/where/when in Texas are the good truck swap meets?????????
Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #23
Hutch

jabborabbo
There is a link on this web-site to alot of the local swap-meets
http://www.taillightking.com/

68 1/2 t swb
68 Mustang
69 Jaguar
71 1/2 t swb
88 Supra CompTs6m
93 Escort GT
2005 Corolla XRS
Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
jabborabbo
There is a link on this web-site to alot of the local swap-meets
http://www.taillightking.com/
Thank you Sir!