The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
cortcomp

Truck won't listen, want's scrapped for giving attitude.

Truck has about 500-100 flawless miles since i restored it (327/np440/stock 4jet with manual choke). Today i pulled it out of the garage after it's sat for a week to take it for a cruise, and it started up and stalled when i didn't close the choke fast enough.

Had trouble getting it started again, so i took the air cleaner off thinking i flooded it, and was greeted with raw fuel running pretty decent out of the secondary nozzles (truck not running), and raw fuel OUTSIDE the carb body on the manifold, pooled up in a couple of the pockets, and the outside of the carb body wet.

I couldn't tell where it was leaking. It is completely professionally rebuild but a carb pro i trust that has done many carbs for me. I ran it 300-500 miles round trip no problem the first weekend out. No stains indicating that it had any fuel just sitting on it.

The fuel pump i'm running is below, it's the correct pump with the correct routed hard line, the kind with the screws holding the body together to let you clock it to get the lines in whatever position you want.

I'm 99% sure i'll put a gauge on and see too much pressure. I know these carbs only need like 4-5psi, most of the new pumps are rated 4.5-6.5 which you'd think would be good.

I know it's over-reacting, but i'm just exhausted with vendors not supplying right parts, parts being late, parts not being as described, parts being poor quality, parts not being as pictured, parts not lasting, etc. Makes me want to get out of the hobby. I mean, the truck is amazing, if IT doesn't run reliably and gives me fits, what hope do i have for my other cars that aren't near that much time/effort/money put in?

Anyone have a pump just all the sudden jump pressure? My father in law thinks it's a stuck float, but that wouldn't have it dumping fuel through the gaskets. I tapped the carb body just to be sure, no difference.

Thanks for letting me complain.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...554_0199763367

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Truck won't listen, want's scrapped for giving attitude.

Welcome to my club

I know its frustrating but give it time. When you do a 100% frame off restoration, things are going to happen.

It sounds like you may have got some trash in the needle and seat that is holding the needle open. The best carb guys in the world cannot control this. You may have got something out of the pumpor somewhere in the line, it does not take much at all.

The fuel pump if it is a stock mechanical will not be able to change its pressure for no reason.

What I have done in the past for the same reason is to find a spot before the fuel pump where there is rubber line and pinch it off with a hose clamp designed to clamp rubber hose.

Then try to crank the truck up and let it run all of the gas in the carb out. You will have to hold the gas pedal wide open until it starts. chances are it will now be flooded.

Once it stalls from no gas in the bowl, release the clamp and try again. What this does is wash the dirt, or what ever is holding the needle open, out.

This may not even be your problem but it is a place to start. It may come back with the same condition. keep a fire extinguisher close by.

I hope you followed what I am suggesting,

keep us posted and don't give up. It is too much fun.

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
NEWFISHER

Scrap is .10 here in Oregon, I would gladly pay to have it shipped here for you
Old 07-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Scrap is .10 here in Oregon, I would gladly pay to have it shipped here for you
That was kind of my thought too but I did not want to kick a man while he is down

Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
66Submarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
The fuel pump if it is a stock mechanical will not be able to change its pressure for no reason.
That's not my experience. My father had a gauge in his truck, and he said the pressure would peg the gauge (20+PSI) for no reason while going down the road; not sure why/how myself yet, but it apparently did. Not saying that the pump is the problem here, but I thought I'd add that.

I have also had stuff flood out as described a couple of times after sitting for a while and go back to working perfectly; not sure exactly what happens, but it sometimes does. Never a bad idea to check the pressure, but if it never did it any other time before I would suspect something to do with the needle and seat.

BTW, more money spent doesn't automatically equal less problems; I have something like 7,000 flawless miles on my junkyard special C30 since I started driving it last year. I think the 49 year old ignition switch is finally going to need to be replaced @ $12, but I'll call it a win...
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
cortcomp

Thanks for the idea, i hadn't considered doing it that way. I'll try it as soon as i can get out. What's REALLY frustrating is the wife is out of town, so i'm stuck in the house with the daughter. I HATE having an issue and not being able to work on it.

I was supposed to take it to a show tomorrow but i don't see having any time to fix it before then, with work during the day. Of course, i won't trust it for awhile even if it starts working, which is what i despise more than anything.

I agree with more money spent doesn't=more reliability. But, i generally try to opt for correct or quality parts when i purchase something, instead of the generic "fix all" part and some rubber hose and clamps, etc. When the parts turn out not to be any better than random off the shelf reman parts, well, my temper is short these days

Add that to another project in the garage that likes to just throw random issues at me despite going through and fixing everything several previous owners have done, well, i guess i'm jealous of all the neighbors who are just happy working 9-5, watching sports, and having nothing to do on the weekends.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
cortcomp

You guys don't want to know how things went during break in when one of the tower hose clamps started spewing coolant as it warmed up and i couldn't find a SINGLE socket, screwdriver, or pair of pliers...My sanity, hangs by a thread this season.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortcomp View Post
Thanks for the idea, i hadn't considered doing it that way. I'll try it as soon as i can get out. What's REALLY frustrating is the wife is out of town, so i'm stuck in the house with the daughter. I HATE having an issue and not being able to work on it.

I was supposed to take it to a show tomorrow but i don't see having any time to fix it before then, with work during the day. Of course, i won't trust it for awhile even if it starts working, which is what i despise more than anything.

I agree with more money spent doesn't=more reliability. But, i generally try to opt for correct or quality parts when i purchase something, instead of the generic "fix all" part and some rubber hose and clamps, etc. When the parts turn out not to be any better than random off the shelf reman parts, well, my temper is short these days

Add that to another project in the garage that likes to just throw random issues at me despite going through and fixing everything several previous owners have done, well, i guess i'm jealous of all the neighbors who are just happy working 9-5, watching sports, and having nothing to do on the weekends.
"well, i guess i'm jealous of all the neighbors who are just happy working 9-5, watching sports, and having nothing to do on the weekends."

I would not be jealous of these type of people. I would bet they are more jealous of you than you might think.

Keep at it and it will be OK.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Submarine View Post
That's not my experience. My father had a gauge in his truck, and he said the pressure would peg the gauge (20+PSI) for no reason while going down the road; not sure why/how myself yet, but it apparently did. Not saying that the pump is the problem here, but I thought I'd add that.

I have also had stuff flood out as described a couple of times after sitting for a while and go back to working perfectly; not sure exactly what happens, but it sometimes does. Never a bad idea to check the pressure, but if it never did it any other time before I would suspect something to do with the needle and seat.

BTW, more money spent doesn't automatically equal less problems; I have something like 7,000 flawless miles on my junkyard special C30 since I started driving it last year. I think the 49 year old ignition switch is finally going to need to be replaced @ $12, but I'll call it a win...
OK, I should say not typical but not impossible either. I have seen this with fuel pumps that have adjustable regulators but never on a stock type mechanical fuel pump. Stranger things have happened. 20 + psi of fuel in the carb would just flood it. The spring pressure in the carb could not hold that back.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
66Submarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
OK, I should say not typical but not impossible either. I have seen this with fuel pumps that have adjustable regulators but never on a stock type mechanical fuel pump. Stranger things have happened. 20 + psi of fuel in the carb would just flood it. The spring pressure in the carb could not hold that back.
Stock new-in-the-box generic fuel pump from a parts store. And yes, the truck would do that cruising down the road at speed and begin to chug black smoke and want to cut out. It also liked to flood slightly on hot restarts all the time. He went to do a cold bump-start by rolling down the driveway one morning and slid the back wheels because a cylinder filled with fuel and hydrolocked it. To put it lightly, it sucked.

He has a Holley red electric regulated down to something like 4.5PSI on there now.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
padresag

Quote:
You guys don't want to know how things went during break in when one of the tower hose clamps started spewing coolant as it warmed up and i couldn't find a SINGLE socket, screwdriver, or pair of pliers...My sanity, hangs by a thread this season.
it won't take but a few minutes to try and start it and run it out of gas. could you not get one of those 9-5 to just keep an eye on your daughter for a few minutes. you might be able to take one of their kids for a ride at a later date. little bribery may work. then again you may not like your neighbours
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
bonehead

So, besides the flooding issue which I'm sure you'll solve, how do you like the NP440 trans?

I am planning to put one of these in my truck. Do you like it? what rear gear ratio are you running? Let us have the detailed review.

Good luck... hang in there
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
Monte's62

Deep breath....hold it, hold it..... Ok, relax!!!! Cortcomp you got this. Think man, you and all the other smart guys on here have got the answer. Just work a plan to eliminate certain things or find certain things and have patience. You might not make the show, but you have a lot of driving left with this truck. Good luck brother.
Monte's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
cortcomp

I'm really not considering hurting the truck, just the straw that broke the camels back this week.

NP440 awesome. I used a stick that bends 90 degrees to the right then 90 degrees back up (not sure of application). Tweaked it forward and it's awesome, way better than bench seat stick. I made a bracket that moves the shifter up and forward, above the speedo connector. 3.73 rear gear. Check end of my build thread, used two straight b7 alloy threaded rods and the reverse rod from the install kit for some chevy truck. Also, had to use a slight shorter 1-2 shifter arm from something i had lying around, to make sure shifter travel put it all the way in gear. I ran the reverse switch up with the speedo and into the spades for the factory reverse lights wiring.

My 2nd gear synchro is messed up, didn't have tranny guy look at it, just do seals, so you have to hit 2nd perfect. I'm like 2000-2200 at 70-75ish. Speedo is right on. I have run up to 90 passing. I am used to the big inch pontiacs, so this is still kind of weak, as in, at 70 in OD, this is still a flying brick of a truck, so if you want to move like now, you still gotta downshift. However, that's just how it is pushing a truck like this forward at that speed. Even 3rd gear is ok on the highway. Honestly, i hear more wind noise from the mirrors than motor scream since i'm running stock exhaust. Without the fixed ac fan (so, if you had a factory clutch fan), would be even more quiet.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
awbrown

Hang in there Cort , I just bought a 98 Silverado ,it had a valve train noise ,pulled the cover and figured the lifter collapsed ... Now I love working on my 63 .. you can guess how much I like working on a 98... I got the intake off only to find the lifter seized in the block .. so now I get to replace the whole thing .. yay !! NOT WHAT I WANTED TO FIND... Hang in there ...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
Softpatch

Is this truck for sale.?
I Kidd you
Know really is this truck for sale.?
1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
clemdaddy

Smile Re: Truck won't listen, want's scrapped for giving attitude.

that truck is fantastic... please don't think evil thoughts about that beautiful truck. all of us who followed your build have a small fractional bit of ownership invested here and speaking for most... chill-out... grab a beer... go in the house, theres always tomorrow bro. you'll get her fixed.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
cortcomp

I did toss a few back last night, i'm a lot calmer today. I wasn't really mad as much as disappointed and disgusted. I mean, i raised that truck better than that! It should know better!

I may have a chance to get an hour or two with it today...what's going to puzzle me is if it acts just fine and never happens again, that will be a head scratcher. If that's the case, i'll assume the truck knew something bad was going to happen?

It's not a big deal hitting this show, but my father in law puts this show on for a local nursing home his aunt is in, and he put a ton of time and money into this too, and i know he's proud of the work. Today is another day, we'll see what it brings.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
66Submarine

Quote:
...what's going to puzzle me is if it acts just fine and never happens again, that will be a head scratcher.
That's what I bet happens. One time when I started up the 250 that's in my truck now, it flooded so much it puked a bunch of fuel out of the bowl vent onto the ground. Hasn't missed a beat since then.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #20
cortcomp

Same thing today, yanked the line into the carb and put a gauge non it, 5.5-6psi, which should be OK. Called the rebuilder and he said something must have gotten in there or happened with the seat, to yank it and bring it down. It does have all new fuel lines, new fuel tank, filter before the pump and the bronze filter at the carb inlet, not sure what he'll find in there. He said not to tip it over or mess with it, he wants to see it exactly how it is.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
jayoldschool

Float stuck down. Happens occasionally to one of my cars with an Edelbrock carb. I fix it by smacking the carb, hard, with the plastic end of a screwdriver. Frees up the stuck float. I think it happens because the gas evaporates in the carb as the car sits, then the float lowers, then gets stuck in the down position. Start the car, gas fill up bowl, float doesn't rise, gas keeps coming in and starts squeezing out...
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #22
cortcomp

I did whack it a few times, but i didn't want to break something. We'll see what carb guy says.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #23
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I bought a auto parts store fuel pump once, put it on and then ( miraculously) I started having carb leaking issues. after about 6 or 7 rebuilt carbs ( all under warranty) and 1 "professional" rebuild, I figured my cheap, store bought fuel pump was pumping out 15lbs and not 7lbs like it should.

I know you checked yours but thought I would share anyway.

Sorry for your frustration, but keep in mind, YOU can fix this, not needing to take it to a dealer and leave it for a week for nothing!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #24
cortcomp

Got the carb back today...cuplrit? Hole formed in the float, full of gas. Again, it was fine. He put a new float in, no charge, runs fine. Also had an exhaust leak, found all 6 bolts on the manifold flanges i could get a solid 6-10 turns on! First time tightening them since together though, assuming things just settling in after break in. Getting her detailed as we speak!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #25
66Submarine

Carburetors certainly seem to work better without holes in the floats...