The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
bowt1ed

Steering Linkage a Prep/Paint

Looking for any suggestions in preparation and (rattle can) painting of new steering linkage (80 Camaro). Good scrub with solvent, prime (etch?), and paint? Recommended types? I know this is basic, but always get the good gouge here. Good news is that the frame is off for blast/powder coating!

Thanks, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Steering Linkage a Prep/Paint

Clean good to get the grease and crud off. I use Simple Green in different strengths. If its bare metal etch primer works, if not just a good primer (I use Duplicolor) with Duplicolor #1634 High Temp. It is about a 40 percent sheen, not as shiney as semigloss, close to the Chassis Black single stage I used on the frame. Here are two photos showing the painted pieces and frame (dusty).
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Orrie,
Was the Duplicolor Self Etching rattle can primer you used a light green? I ask because I originally used that on the body of my truck to getaway from the "standard" red oxide, light gray, flat black primer look. It worked good but didn't hold up exposed to air without a finish coat. No complaint, it isn't supposed to work like that but I didn't know.

I'm a fan of Rustoleum mostly because I've had really good results and it is so easily touched up after the fact on a daily driven, non-show truck. If I were doing a little more high end truck I'd use a catalyzed automotive paint. And I suppose I could ADD a catalyst to ordinary Rustoleum and spray it.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Stepside Jim

bowt1ed, I just got new steering linkage also. I got a couple of the red scuff pads, they have more scuff than the green ones.

Once I got the red scuff pads I kept them wet with lacquer thinner and scrubbed and scuffed the linkage.

I primed with epoxy then painted. In your case, you should get a can of etching primer, then follow directions to the paint process.

Good luck, Jim
Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
bowt1ed

Thanks guys! Always get good advise here. Seems like the tear down stage has taken me forever. So glad to be starting the build back up process.
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote