The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Budget63

Way of identifying year of a front suspension?

I bought a complete front 5 lug suspension from a local a few months ago, and the day of bolting it into my truck is approaching. I can't remember what year the guy said it came from. It was bolted into a 60-66 when I first looked at it, so I know it will bolt up. Is there any obvious differences between 71-72 front end, from a 73-87 front end? I looked through the 2B section of the FAQ's, and didn't find it.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Budget63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Re: Way of identifying year of a front suspension?

Thats 73-87 the cross shaft bushings tell the tale here is a 72
Attached Images

Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Budget63

Ok, great! Thanks for the quick reply! I may be just suffering from over information overload, but a later 5 lug rear axle isn't plug and play, correct? I believe I read that they are a little too long. Isn't the most cost effective way of going 5 lug in the back buying the 5 lug axle kit from somewhere like Speedway? If so, I will probably just buy a set of the after market 6 lug front rotors when I rebuild the front end. Sorry about beating a dead horse, as I swear I have read this before...
Budget63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '71-'87 differentials are 1.5" wider than your current differential. A '71-'72 12 bolt would be a direct bolt in into a ''65-'70 C10. A '63-'64 will require some fab work or modification to the panhard bar. A '73-'87 differential will need the original spring pads and shock mounts removed and trailing arm mounts and a panhard bar mount welded to it, at the correct pinion angle.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

If youre talking about just swapping axle shafts theres a width difference. If you want to swap the whole axle it takes some cutting and grinding And welding (Less if its a leaf spring truck but still some light fabrication. So yes. In the long run a 5 lug axle shaft kit and new drums is less expensive than making the later model stuff work. Especially if you dont like grinding and welding as the shock mount and bump snubbers on the later trucks are an odd arrangement.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

I have 75 front suspension with a 72 rear end. I got lucky finding the 72 rear ends on craigslist and at pick and pull. The one in the truck now I picked up for $150 and it is tight and the one I got at pick and pull needs to be rebuilt. Here is a picture so you can see how much the rearend effects anything. I think I have a 4" back space on the wheels that are 7" wide, the tires are 245/60/15's. Thinking of getting 17" wheels next.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote