The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
NC67Chev

Problem gravity bleeding brakes with new prop valve

Trying to put the finishing touches on disc brake conversion today. I'm trying to get the brakes gravity bled, but I can't get any fluid to move at all with the bleeders wide open. I've seen something referring to this button on the front of the prop valve. Do I have to do something with it while I'm gravity bleeding?
Attached Images

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Re: Problem gravity bleeding brakes with new prop valve

Is that line on the rear of the prop valve kinked? Sure looks it. That's probably your problem.
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
NC67Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC10 View Post
Is that line on the rear of the prop valve kinked? Sure looks it. That's probably your problem.
No kinked lines

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
Old 08-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Did you bench bleed the MC?
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
NC67Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC10 View Post
Did you bench bleed the MC?
Yes, I bench bled the MC. I had my wife hold the pedal down while a cracked the bleeder valve a couple of times and its bleeding fine now.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC67Chev View Post
Trying to put the finishing touches on disc brake conversion today. I'm trying to get the brakes gravity bled, but I can't get any fluid to move at all with the bleeders wide open. I've seen something referring to this button on the front of the prop valve. Do I have to do something with it while I'm gravity bleeding?
On the type of prop /combination valve you have, depressing and holding the button nearest the front brake line should allow your brakes to bleed. There is a piston inside your valve that probably needs to be re-centered. If depressing and holding the front button does not work then it gets a bit more complicated. The piston can be centered by removing the 9/16 in rear cap and pressing the piston all of the way forward. Remove the plastic brake switch contact and use a pick to center the V slot in the piston in the center of the switch port. Re-insert the switch. If it reads "open" with a circuit tester or infinite resistance with an ohm meter it is in the correct location and your brakes will gravity bleed. At this point I usually insert a "centering tool" which holds that piston immobile while you continue bleeding. Performance On Line has one for $ 7.00. It screws into the warning switch port. Be sure to replace the warning switch when you are finished. Good luck
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote