The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
ChevyBrad

1952 3800 Upper Steering box bearing.

Does anyone know where I can get the upper bearing for my steering shaft in the top of the column. I am modifying the original column using U-Joints to clearing the box for my V8 swap and if I could find two more bearings I could use them at the top of the box and the bottom of the column at the firewall. It looks like it is recessed enough to allow a shaft seal to be pressed into the inside of the bore creating an environmental seal. Any thoughts? Thanks.
ChevyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1952 3800 Upper Steering box bearing.

I used two bearings one in the box and one in the lower column end.
I made an adapter that slides over the end of the column and turned the removable portion of the box to fit the other bearing. I can post a picture of the box now but don't have one of the column adapter. The bearing is a 1012KRR with a lock collar. Its sealed and once you recess the housing to fit it taps in and use loctite bearing and stud mount on it. for the upper bearing at the steering wheel you can get those almost any vintage parts place
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
ChevyBrad

Thanks a lot Dave, I just ordered the Timken bearing for the box. That should work out just fine. I was not thinking clearly before and thought I would need a rudder type seal around the shaft to protect the gear oil but, with the bearing fixed to the shaft with the set screw I can just put a bead of sealant around the end of the bearing/ shaft mating area. Also one more question; how is the shaft tube held into the outer removable housing? Is it just pressed in? Thanks, Brad.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
ChevyBrad

I got the inner column shaft out. Ha Thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBrad View Post
Thanks a lot Dave, I just ordered the Timken bearing for the box. That should work out just fine. I was not thinking clearly before and thought I would need a rudder type seal around the shaft to protect the gear oil but, with the bearing fixed to the shaft with the set screw I can just put a bead of sealant around the end of the bearing/ shaft mating area. Also one more question; how is the shaft tube held into the outer removable housing? Is it just pressed in? Thanks, Brad.
I cut it off at the casting and when I chucked up in the lathe I turned it out when making it to the size of the bearing.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
ChevyBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I cut it off at the casting and when I chucked up in the lathe I turned it out when making it to the size of the bearing.
Oh OK yeah that works too, I just started cutting a little bit of it with a torch and the rest pulled right out.