The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
larey

Dilemma on body part installation

So I have my 1980 C10, and when I purchased it the hood had the folding option, so I dropped a few bucks and got a new hood, and both fenders. Finally got them primered and ready to put on, but my left inner fender and the radiator support are rusted and should be replaced. So should I go ahead and mount the fenders and hood till I can afford the other options, or wait.

To give you the background the truck does drive, but I am in the process of rebuilding the step side bed. I do not consider the truck reliable as when I got it the rear shocks where loose in the mounts and other items needed more attention.

The hood I will more then likely put on as without it the engine is open to the elements, but what about the fenders as the way it looks it will be easier to put it all together at the same time. I am not real sure what else lies beneath except the radiator support and inner fender as the rest looks solid. I also have new hood hinges to put on as well, but did not get the springs.

Thanks for the input,

Larey
larey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
t_graham11

Re: Dilemma on body part installation

I say wait, I'm in the same boat as you and I feel it's best to just wait. Why do something twice when you can do it once the right way and be done with it
t_graham11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
larey

Well I went ahead and dropped the money on the radiator support and will have it soon hopefully.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Nin92

Quote:
Originally Posted by larey View Post
Well I went ahead and dropped the money on the radiator support and will have it soon hopefully.
Did you order a reproduction radiator support? Only asking because I went with a reproduction for my 76 and it did not fit up well at all. It was not even close to the original in dimension or mounting holes. I ended up using the original support in the end. Hopefully you have better luck!
Nin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
larey

Yeah I ordered a reproduction and it should be here soon, I hope I have better luck as it was cheap. Interesting that you are so close Nin92, I live in Crestview, and you in Pensacola.