The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
64chevmn

Suspension lean

I'm on the finishing end of a frame-off restoration of my 1964 C10. All of the front suspension including the upper and lower control arm bushings were replaced, new 2-1/2 inch drop spindles and new 3-inch drop springs. After I hung the front sheet metal, I noticed the driver's side was about 3/4 inch lower than the passenger side. I made sure both coil springs are seated property in the control arms. When I measure from the bottom a-arm next to the rubber bump stop to the upper cross member, the driver's side measures 3/8 inch less than the passenger side. I do not have more than 100 feet on the truck since the suspension build, so maybe it needs to settle in when I hit a few bumps on future test drives......or is there anything else I should be checking? It sure seems the driver's side coil spring in compressing more than the passenger side from what I can tell. Is there anything else I can check/measure or should I just have patience and put a few miles on it before I get too worried?
64chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Suspension lean

I would get the entire truck put together and drive it some to settle it in. Then check it on a good flat surface.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
64chevmn

Will do; hopefully by the end of the month I can put some miles on it. With the 5.5 inch drop in the front and 245/60/15 front tires, Im hoping I wont have any rubbing issues on the fenders.........THANKS
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
robnolimit

To start with, as PG stated, be patient, and see what it does with a few miles. parked on level ground. In reality, most aftermarket springs are not very accurate when it comes to spring rate. Any two of the same springs can be off 5% from one another. So, one could really be 1000lb/in, and the next 1050lb/in. Also, the drivers side will be appx 140 lbs heavier than the pass side. - You should always check the spring set at RH WITHOUT the sway bars connected (unhook the link on one side) If the lean is still there, try swapping the springs from side to side.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
IIGW

all GM trucks lean. it's a term coined 'chevy lean', and it has plagued poeple for along time. shims under the coils help, fuel in the tank helps, relocating the battery helps.
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
64chevmn

After putting a 150 miles on my truck, I still have the 3/4 to 1-inch lean on the drivers side.....even the rear now sits 3/4-inch lower after I put the box on. I took the truck to a frame alignment shop and he said the frame in not bent or tweaked, just the driver's side coil springs front and back are compressing more than the passenger's side. He did not want to do an alignment until I corrected the lean problem.

So, my plan is to add a shims underneath the front in rear coils until it sits level. I could swap the springs from the driver's side to the passenger's side, but it seems like a lot more work to verify the new lowering springs are compressing at various rates. Does adding shims sound like the best approach?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Only do one corner at a time. Get the front level first and then recheck the rear.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
64chevmn

Just to close out this thread; I used a 3/8-inch aluminum spacer under the driver's side coil spring and it raised that side of the truck the 1-inch I needed. Very simple to install and worked great and leveled out the rear of the truck as well. Everything is level side to side now.....
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Platinum00

where did you get the shim?
Platinum00 is offline   Reply With Quote