The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
William Stewart

Fuel Tank Contamination '50 1/2 Ton

While I know there is no substitute for removing a fuel tank with crap in it. I've got to go ahead for a while working around it. I read, in one forum or another, the idea of pushing a rolled aluminum screen up thru the outlet nipple to strain flow into the line. Can someone direct me to the thread? Its' hard to see the outlet shutoff valve connection, and its not in the shop manual. Does the valve screw onto the nipple which looks like it projects below the floor?

The truck is back on the street, but I carry a compressed air tank to blow back up the fuel line if it clogs (happened once in the driveway). The suggestion was made to temporarily use a small boat tank in the cab, but I'd rather not drill any holes in the floor or firewall.

All things considered, I'd rather install a frame tank when I get some time to spend on the truck (brake work under way).

Bill Stewart

Bill Stewart
William Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Fuel Tank Contamination '50 1/2 Ton

I've heard of the screen in the fuel line trick but never used it. The shut off valve below the tank does screw on to the nipple.
Why not remove the tank, flush it with water & dry it by hooking the fuel filler neck to the exhaust of a running car? I did that many years ago and it really helped.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
_Ogre

Re: Fuel Tank Contamination '50 1/2 Ton

pulling the tank to flush it couldn't take more than a few hours and that's probably what you should do

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote