The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Turtleman

Brake Booster,,, Wrong or Right?

Seems I'm at the point of getting the swap over to disk brakes on my 66.
Two things I really cant stand... Mixed matched parts,, and clutter in the engine bay... maybe I'm OCD but it bugs the heck out of me. LOL

I have a 87 for the parts truck and I'm going to move the whole suspension over to the 66... the only thing I need is another Master Cylinder;

So the Question I've been trying to find a answer to is;
I've heard/read that a booster from a 70/73 Chevy Impala will bolt directly to the firewall of the C10... True of False??

"If" thats true,, will a master cylinder for a 87 bolt to the booster??

OR?

Am I trying to be to tricky and what I should do is just go get a 66 booster and see if the 87 Master Cylinder fits to that?

Turtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
donthekawguy

Re: Brake Booster,,, Wrong or Right?

I went and got a booster and MC for a 70 Impala for my 66. I think the booster doesn't matter. I like the metal MC over the plastic one. Captainfab would know the answer for sure.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Turtleman

Yeah,, I'm not big on plastic
Did the 70 booster and Master bolt directly to the firewall of the 66? or did you still need an adapter?
I've seen allot of kits installed in and it looks like the kit is larger than the motor.. I'm trying to keep the engine compartment as clear as I can
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Don has one of my booster brackets to mount the booster to the firewall without drilling holes.

There are many many factory and aftermarket boosters that will bolt up to my booster brackets. As for the master cylinder, the main concern is the length of the intermediate pushrod. Most boosters from about 1971 on will have the short intermediate pushrod. So if you use a master cylinder that is '71 and later it should bolt up. I don't have much experience with the newer aluminum master cylinders, but I have heard that some of the newer ones are larger where they register in the booster. This would only be a issue if installing a later model master on an early booster.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
Turtleman

Well then its "Trigger Pull Time" then... so I have to ask.. Why have a Booster at all??
I run shoes now so I know the force/pressure needed to slow down.. once adding disk in front just how much added benefit will a booster have?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Adding a brake booster whether you have 4 wheel drums, discs and drums or 4 wheel discs, just lessens the foot pressure on the pedal to get the truck to stop. It is more noticeable when you need to stop quickly.

Member Sharps40 did a nice writeup when he converted his truck. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
thelawdoc

I would love to be rid of the booster that hangs on the firewall of my '66 C10. For some reason that I cannot articulate, I just don't like its looks. But I lack the cahones. It has been at least 40 years since I drove a car with manual brakes and I worry that after getting used to power/assisted braking, I might not stop in time and hit someone in the rear. Maybe if I find someone with manual brakes that I can take for a spin for a few minutes, that might help me. But I just never come across any. The manual steering I have does not pose any issues for me. But manual brakes.... well I just don't know. -Alden
thelawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
donthekawguy

I wanted my truck to be more "drivable" so I put on power brakes. Next year OD Tranny and AC. I'm getting to old to tough it out I guess. lol
Old 08-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here's that thread I mentioned the other day.....got side tracked.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611577