The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

One or two piece driveshaft?

After much flip flopping between a TH350 with lockup and a 700r4, I finally got a transmission ( TH400 with short tailshaft ) and, need opinions about a driveshaft. Obviously, I want the strongest DS I can get. I'm wanting to know if I should try and go with a two piece DS or, go with a one piece. The truck is a '65 longbed and the motor is a 383 stroker with 450 HP and 454 ft/lbs torque. Current setup is two piece with carrier bearing and the carrier bearing mounts using inline bolts ( not u-bolt style ). I understand that one piece DS is most likely stronger but, not sure if it will work with my setup. Truck is slightly lowered ( 2-1/2 drop spindles front and, 2" lower springs rear ). Thanks in advance for any help. I would really appreciate it!
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: One or two piece driveshaft?

In a longbed, a 2 piece will be stronger. However what you currently have is the light duty 2 piece, and that isn't going to cut it. The main fault with the light duty driveshaft is the whimpy carrier bearing. What you need is the HD 2 piece driveshaft and carrier bearing. I do make the carrier bearing mounts for the HD carrier bearing for conversions from the LD assembly. There will be many that will tell you to go one piece. Yes it can be done, and made to hold up, but it will cost ya.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
rickywideglide

not trying to hijack thread, curious about your conversion bracket capt, any pics
rickywideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here is the for sale thread:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=620312

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywideglide View Post
not trying to hijack thread, curious about your conversion bracket capt, any pics
Old 08-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
rickywideglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
thanks, have to decide which ds to use now..
Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
63burban
Chevy addict

The main reason for the two piece shaft is suspension travel and heavy loads. (constantly changing angles) If you're not hauling much and you don't have much suspension travel, then a one piece will work.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
After much flip flopping between a TH350 with lockup and a 700r4, I finally got a transmission ( TH400 with short tailshaft ) and, need opinions about a driveshaft. Obviously, I want the strongest DS I can get. I'm wanting to know if I should try and go with a two piece DS or, go with a one piece. The truck is a '65 longbed and the motor is a 383 stroker with 450 HP and 454 ft/lbs torque. Current setup is two piece with carrier bearing and the carrier bearing mounts using inline bolts ( not u-bolt style ). I understand that one piece DS is most likely stronger but, not sure if it will work with my setup. Truck is slightly lowered ( 2-1/2 drop spindles front and, 2" lower springs rear ). Thanks in advance for any help. I would really appreciate it!
I had a one piece drive shaft made for a 1969 c10 I had. It had a 400 trans. I gave the truck to my son. he took the DS out and now I have it on the floor in my garage in Roanoke texas. I may sell it , but not sure. I may need it on the future.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
The main reason for the two piece shaft is suspension travel and heavy loads. (constantly changing angles) If you're not hauling much and you don't have much suspension travel, then a one piece will work.
The main reason for the two piece shaft is to keep the shaft out of its critical speed range, which is a function of length (wheelbase), diameter, rear axle ratio, tire size, vehicle top speed and/or any unanticipated driveline resonances (either vertical or torsional).

A one piece shaft could be made to compensate for any/all of those characteristics but the poster would have to evaluate if they wanted to pay extra for larger diameter or special (non-steel) materials.

Or - they could just drive slower.

My recommendation: I always go with a one piece when I can get away with it (if it will physically package). Less mass and less complexity (fewer moving parts).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
In a longbed, a 2 piece will be stronger. However what you currently have is the light duty 2 piece, and that isn't going to cut it. The main fault with the light duty driveshaft is the whimpy carrier bearing. What you need is the HD 2 piece driveshaft and carrier bearing. I do make the carrier bearing mounts for the HD carrier bearing for conversions from the LD assembly. There will be many that will tell you to go one piece. Yes it can be done, and made to hold up, but it will cost ya.

Was told that same thing about the carrier bearing. Was told that the problem is it being inline instead of the u-bolt type. How much is your HD carrier bearing mount? Is it a bolt on or weld on mount? Sounds like that would be the cheapest and most durable. BTW, what does LD mean? Thanks! Never mind about the price Captain, just saw the post with pic. May be getting with you soon.

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 08-09-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Spelling and content
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
'65 chevy lover

63burban, thanks for the info!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
'65 chevy lover

grs, thanks but, most likely will go with a 2 piece with HD carrier bearing.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
The main reason for the two piece shaft is to keep the shaft out of its critical speed range, which is a function of length (wheelbase), diameter, rear axle ratio, tire size, vehicle top speed and/or any unanticipated driveline resonances (either vertical or torsional).

A one piece shaft could be made to compensate for any/all of those characteristics but the poster would have to evaluate if they wanted to pay extra for larger diameter or special (non-steel) materials.

Or - they could just drive slower.

My recommendation: I always go with a one piece when I can get away with it (if it will physically package). Less mass and less complexity (fewer moving parts).K
I can definatly see where a 1 piece has less mass and fewer moving parts( 2 less u-joints. )I'm going to call Ft Worth Gear and axle monday and see what they say. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
61K10

what about the billet carrier bearing they sell? is it for the light duty shaft? if so would that be an up-grade for someone that doesn't want to find or have a new hd shaft made?

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
rickywideglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
what about the billet carrier bearing they sell? is it for the light duty shaft? if so would that be an up-grade for someone that doesn't want to find or have a new hd shaft made?
if its like the one in lmc i believe thats a light duty one
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that billet aluminum carrier bearing is for the light duty driveshaft. While it is a definite improvement ofer the original stamped steel housing, it still isn't as good as the HD carrier bearing, IMO.

The HD carrier bearing that I am talking about is the same one used in the C10's as well as the C60's. So they will withstand some abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywideglide View Post
if its like the one in lmc i believe thats a light duty one