The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
775stepside

What carb do I have?

What carb is this? 650? Is this a good carb for just a regular 350? Or is it not enough or too much for it? Where can I get a rebuild kit for it? I want to clean it up and go over it, when I start my street it seems to misfire or run rough. I already changed everything else. I believe something might be stuck.

775stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: What carb do I have?

Don't go into cardiac arrest, but that carb is a little smaller than a 650. It is reallya 625 CFM carb. That carb body and the one that Edelbrock sells is the exact same carb and the parts are interchangeable. They are designed and built by a company called Magnetti-Marelli and sold to companies such as Carter and Edelbrock, to put their name on and fit into the market such as this. However, now back to your question. That carb will work on a 350 engine, quite well, for one special reason. The smaller carb works well with a heavier vehicle, such as a truck-as compared to a Camaro. It's design and size keeps the air signal up on the venturies, due to fact that the airflow is higher than it would be on a 750 CFM or larger carb. This should give you decent drivability and fuel economy, as compared toa larger carb. You do lose some abilaity to take the engine to higheer RPMs, since you reach the carb's capacity, but for daily driving, you should never get there.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
775stepside

Thanks for the info, where can I get a rebuild kit for it?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
geezer#99

I'd run rough too and misfire if I had my manifold vacuum port unplugged.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
775stepside

Yea that too lol.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
775stepside

Can I just plug it?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
geezer#99

Of course!!
What's your initial timing set at?
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
wilkin250r

I have a very similar carb on my truck, and it runs very well.

Many people prefer the Quadrajet (often shortened to just Q-jet) carburetors over the Carter/Edelbrock design, and I'll be happy to explain the differences between square-bore and spread-bore carburetors if you're interested. But just because Q-jet is generally regarded as a superior design, that doesn't mean that you have a BAD design or that your carb won't work. Many people (me included) run Carter/Edelbrock carburetors with great success and are very happy with them. I wouldn't recommend the expense of swapping carburetors if you can get your existing carb to perform properly.

As geezer pointed out, I would suggest your first step should be to plug the manifold vacuum port. That's the little hose fitting on the bottom right side of the carb. That might be your entire problem. In fact, if it were ME I'd go a step further, and I would actually SWITCH the small hose on the left side (ported vacuum) and put it on the right side (manifold vacuum), and then plug the left side. That small hose should be running to your distributor, and I've found most of my engines run better with manifold vacuum rather than ported vacuum.

If that doesn't fix your problem and you want to know how to rebuild your carburetor, or just learn the different functions and adjustments, I've found this book to be helpful.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
775stepside

I'm new to carbs. I want to figure out what's what and what it does. This truck sat for 5-6 years since I have owned it and I have started it a couple times a year. I recently changed the water pump, plugs, wires, cap/rotor. Filter. New coolant. I just think it needs a clean up. I would like to know more about it though and how to adjust my air fuel ratios to run a good fuel mixture.

I know you turn the screws until it starts to hesitate then u back it off.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
775stepside

I'm not sure as to what the timing is set too, I haven't even messed with it or stuck a timing light too it. My main goal is to get the body and frame painted then work my way up to the motor/trans. I just want the motor to run we'll, as is seems to sound good. Just that first start up. Could it be due to the choke?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
rich weyand

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I'd run rough too and misfire if I had my manifold vacuum port unplugged.
And it doesn't help that the vacuum advance is plugged in on the wrong side (ported vacuum instead of manifold vacuum).

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
775stepside

I haven't touched the carb since I got the truck so I figure I gotta change the hose
Old 08-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
thefraze_1020

Go to Mike's Carburetor Parts for a rebuild kit. He has rebuild kits for tons and tons of carbs, most likely yours too.

Also, he has how-to's on his website on rebuilding carbs.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/

1984 Chevy C20 Custom Deluxe
thefraze_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
TylerW

As a Quadrajet enthusiast, I'll take another opportunity to talk them up but just by mentioning that whomever installed that carb went from a 750cfm Qjet to a 625 cfm Carter.

I still can't quite understand why anyone would do that along with no longer having a working choke(it's wired open) and having to use an adapter. But oh well. Never let facts get in the way of a good time.

That Carter is a decent carb, you could sell it pretty easily if you decided to change back to a Qjet.
TylerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
As a Quadrajet enthusiast, I'll take another opportunity to talk them up but just by mentioning that whomever installed that carb went from a 750cfm Qjet to a 625 cfm Carter.

I still can't quite understand why anyone would do that along with no longer having a working choke(it's wired open) and having to use an adapter. But oh well. Never let facts get in the way of a good time.

That Carter is a decent carb, you could sell it pretty easily if you decided to change back to a Qjet.
just to enlighten some if a block is a 350 or pretty much any small block chev does not matter if you carb is 600 or 650 or 750 the engine wont use anymore then 536 cfm even if heads are ported as much as you could 575cfm would be the very most cfm used
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
775stepside

How is the choke supposed to be?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
TylerW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 775stepside View Post
How is the choke supposed to be?
I think that carb is a Mopar(Dodge, Plymouth) version and they all use divorced chokes. Divorced choke means the choke spring is mounted on the intake manifold and has a rod running up to the carb.

Your options in that case are either no choke or use a manual choke.

The funny thing is that your factory intake might have used a divorced choke itself. What do you see on the intake on the passenger side, next to the carb? Do you see something that looks like a molded-in cup shape, or a plate with 2 small holes in it?
TylerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
775stepside

It has 4 holes on the right side
Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
775stepside

Looks like this

Old 08-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
775stepside

Also curious if this intake with fit my setup?