The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Baketown Scotty

Rear Axle ID ?

Recently got my new to me 1966 GMC Suburban 4x4. The rear axle has embossed on it 65703-R2 which I have found to be an International Harvester axle. The second line has P 10 29 K and below that is hand stamped 373 (gear ratio?). It has 6 lugs which are reverse thread on the drivers side. I have not checked passenger side.
I would like to know how to describe this axle when I go to buy a new rear brake cylinder to replace the one that is leaking. I've heard some IH axles described as HO52, HO72, R5, R6, R11. Can anyone help with this?Name:  Rear axle 4.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  Rear axle 5.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  Rt Rear Drum.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  78.5 KB
Baketown Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Baketown Scotty

Re: Rear Axle ID ?

The backside of third member has no bolts.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have never seen a differential like that....a full floating 6 lug....leave it to IH to come up with an odd ball. I don't know what to tell you about finding a wheel cylinder aside from taking one off and take it with you and try and match it up. Of course you will have to find a parts guy willing to do some searching.

If it were my truck, I would pull that odd ball diff out of there and find a truck 12 bolt. Is the front diff an odd ball too? It is possible that someone used an IH 4x4 as a donor truck.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Baketown Scotty

Thanks Captain. It was supposedly ordered from the factory by the California Forestry Service like this. Sold to a guy who took it to PA in 2002 and sold to me. I brought it back to CA last week. Here is a picture of the front axle. I think it is a Dana 44 but have not looked or tried to ID it yet.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That does sound possible as back then you could order a vehicle with just about anything you wanted. However, looking at some things around the rear diff, such as the uper shock mounts, that doesn't look like a factory installation to me.

Yes the front differential is a closed knuckle Dana 44.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Baketown Scotty

Thanks for the front axle ID Captain. The shock mounts are definitely not factory. Someone installed bench seats on the sides in the back and did some really weird patching where they removed the original wheel wells. Thanks again and I'll show some pictures here soon.
Attached Images