The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
BuckTruck16

Supercharger/Cam combo

Hey guys,

I got a question about some engine components and figured I'd look into some feedback from you guys. I have a '79 350, 4 bolt main steel crank. All stock. If, let's say, throwing on a weiand 144 or a procharger, what would be the best cam for low end torque. Also, what kind of heads would you suggest as well as headers.

Thanks.
BuckTruck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
jsavage977

Re: Supercharger/Cam combo

i bet if you call weiand and give them your specs they would be happy to point you in the right direction. Or better yet I personally would call your favorite cam manufacturer like comp cams and give them your specs and desired outcome. Because asking on a fourum you are asking people completely different questions. A cam that will make one truck do wheelies up and down the boulevard in san diego will run completly different here in utah at 5,000+ elevation. if you talk to the experts they will help you get the perfect cam to match your intake, exhaust, heads, lift, injection, duration, ignition system, elevation, ect.
At least thats my opinion take it for what its worth.
Headers however I always shop for the thickest flange and thickest tubes for durability and heat resistance. The thinner ones are probably fine but I had a bad experience with some that had a couple leaks and the flanges kept warping.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Supercharger/Cam combo

Look at the Edwlbrock or TFS magnusson supercharger kit. It is a bit more expensive, but it is the best supercharger you can get for a carb application.

I am a fan of AFR 195 heads on the street, but these days I would look at a vortec design.

Call a cam company. To many cams out there, and with a supercharger error on the small side. You can turn up the boost to compensate a bit.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote