The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
apocalypse

Power Booster & Master Cylinder Question

Hey Guys,
I'm going to add a power brake system to my Sub. I was planning on keeping the drum brakes all around. My question is do I still need to have the proportioning valve? I know I would need it, if I switched the front to disc, but since I'm not. I wasn't sure. If you guys could pass on that the expertise that you have, it would be great! Thanks in advance.
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Power Booster & Master Cylinder Question

No you do not need a proportioning valve with drum/drums. The '67-'70 booster and master cylinder is what I recommend for use with a drum/drum system. That booster is compatible with my booster brackets also.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
apocalypse

Thanks for the info Captainfab!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
apocalypse

One more question on this guys. Does it matter what size booster I get, when swithing to power brakes? I'm looking at either 9" or 11" booster.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What size and type of booster will depend partly on how much vacuum your engine produces. The larger the diameter the more power assist you will get from a given vacuum. The same for a dual diaphram versus a single diaphram booster. And then there is hydroboost if the engine vacuum is just too low.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
apocalypse

I have a 283 in the truck, so I'm not sure how much vacuum there is. Guess that's something I'm going to have to look into.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
No you do not need a proportioning valve with drum/drums. The '67-'70 booster and master cylinder is what I recommend for use with a drum/drum system. That booster is compatible with my booster brackets also.
Sidebar: So if you don't use the proportioning valve with drum/drum, do you still get the safety aspect of a split system? Does the master cylinder reservoir provide protection in the event of a leak in either the front brake lines or in the rear lines, without the shuttle portion of the prop valve?

I am contemplating updating the single pot m/c in my '63 Grand Prix to a dual system, which is why I ask.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I am not aware of a proportioning valve for the drum/drum brake system. Of course most of my knowledge is with the trucks. The '67-'70 trucks use what I call a distribution block. It is basically 2 ports in, 2 ports out.

My '68 Camaro with drums/drums has a similar distribution valve

To answer your question, if either the front or rear circuit were to develop a leak, there is no shuttle to shut off flow to that side. But you should still have limited braking ability to the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Sidebar: So if you don't use the proportioning valve with drum/drum, do you still get the safety aspect of a split system? Does the master cylinder reservoir provide protection in the event of a leak in either the front brake lines or in the rear lines, without the shuttle portion of the prop valve?

I am contemplating updating the single pot m/c in my '63 Grand Prix to a dual system, which is why I ask.

K