The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

Relays for headlights

This has been discussed more than once before, and I was always of the opinion that a relay wasn't needed when running halogen head lights. I've run halogens in every vehicle that I have owned for as long as I can remember with no problems, that is until now. I have a new headlight switch from Danchuk, and halogen sealed beams in my TF. Last night I was coming home from a cruise in about 25 miles from home with the dim lights on. It was fine on dims but when I switched to brights it only took a minute for the lights to start going on and off. I turned the lights off for a few seconds to let the bi-metal strip on the switch cool down, and then turned them back on on dim and drove home with no more problems. I'm only throwing this out because I think I have commented before that I didn't think a relay was necessary, but apparently the switch in a TF isn't capable of powering Halogens reliably. It could be just my switch but it is new.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Relays for headlights

I added headlight relays (and others too for other high load stuff) when I rewired mine. I had a couple of close calls with the stock wiring and wanted the peace of mind. Plus I plan on upgrading to more modern lamps in the future.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

I installed a relay harness and Hella Vision Plus H4 conversion a couple days ago. Havent got a chance to try it out yet since my truck is halfway through the CPP Big Slam kit install.
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
mr48chev

Installing relays is simple and inexpensive and keeps your switch (s) from overloading or burning out.

On my 71 GMC I was going through dimmer switches about every three or four months with 55/100 H-4 bulbs. After putting a pair of relays in no more problems. I put an inline fuse in the power feed to the relays.
Around here you need all the light you can get at 03:45 in the morning on the way work as there are quite often drunks staggering up the side of the road and sometimes in the road usually wearing all dark clothing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Installing relays is simple and inexpensive and keeps your switch (s) from overloading or burning out.
Can anyone post a schematic on how to wire in relays? Also are two required for low and another two for high beams? Many of us can rebuild a tranny or a carb blindfolded but are lost when it comes to wiring.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
OrrieG

Will when I get to my computer..
Old 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Rude Dude

This site has schematics for dual lights

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/imag...ingDiagram.jpg
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
VTX-Black

I had the same problem on our 84 with headlight flashing on and off.
I found a kit that had a sub harness and relays that plugged in to the existing connections.

I got it from LMC. It was cheap and took me about 10 minutes to do.
If they don;t have one for our old trucks, I would buy the one for an 84. It wasn't much more than sourcing the components myself.
VTX-Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
OrrieG

Here is the diagram I used but with the following modifications:

The low beam wire from the dimmer switch is light green, not tan as shown.
The high beam wire from the dimmer switch is tan,not green. You are inserting the relays in to those wires before they go to the connectors to the lights at the fender wells.

I ran two 12 ga. red wires from a power block I mounted next to the battery, not one. Thought was that if I had a problem in that part of the circuit I would only loose high or low, not all lights.

I used a 16 ga. fusible link wire from the power block to the red wire. You can use a fuse or circuit breaker fuse BUT need to make sure that you find and fix the problem that caused the fuse to blow or breaker to trip.

I mounted mine on the driver side of the radiator brace close to where the factory connector to the driver lights is located.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Russell Ashley

I already had the relay when I rewired my truck using an EZWire kit. I've just never needed a relay with halogens before so I elected to skip the few extra steps and leave it out. To keep it simple but still functional I will stick with only one relay that will be in the feed to the dimmer switch. The wire from the light switch that formerly fed the headlights will only be used to pick the relay. I have new wiring so I don't think I will have any noticeable voltage drop to the headlights with this configuration. The feed to the dimmer switch will connect to a full voltage point and will definitely be fused.

Last edited by Russell Ashley; 08-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
OrrieG

That will work too, keeps the big load off the switch. I think the EZ wire size from the dimmer switch is larger than the stock 20 ga. too, but would have to look to comfirm, to allow for newer higher amp draw lights.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
_Ogre

ezwire has an auto reset breaker in place of the headlight fuse, but chances are that is not your problem
the bimetal switch is what is causing the headlights to flash
reach up under the dash with a pair of needle nose pliers and bend a little more contact in the bimetal strip
you will still be protected by the breaker in the ezwire harness and that is protection for the headlight circuit
you could also solder the points closed as your still protected with the breaker
no relays needed

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
1project2many

Quote:
I'm only throwing this out because I think I have commented before that I didn't think a relay was necessary, but apparently the switch in a TF isn't capable of powering Halogens reliably. It could be just my switch but it is new.
Even when the switch can conduct enough current to keep the lights lit, the OEM wiring has enough internal resistance to significantly reduce brightness. Headlight harness "upgrade" kits were popular for several models of car in the '90s and early into this century which were essentially relays mounted near the headlights and battery power supplied through larger wiring. On a standard 65W halogen high beam, 6' of 16G wire at 14V adds enough resistance to the circuit to equal 2 watts lost. The difference in intensity is noticeable.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post

The high beam wire from the dimmer switch is tan,not green. You are inserting the relays in to those wires before they go to the connectors to the lights at the fender wells.

I ran two 12 ga. red wires from a power block I mounted next to the battery, not one. Thought was that if I had a problem in that part of the circuit I would only loose high or low, not all lights.

I used a 16 ga. fusible link wire from the power block to the red wire. You can use a fuse or circuit breaker fuse BUT need to make sure that you find and fix the problem that caused the fuse to blow or breaker to trip.

I mounted mine on the driver side of the radiator brace close to where the factory connector to the driver lights is located.

Orrie,

Looks like I need to install the relays. Had my high beams on last night for the first time and after a couple minutes that flashed rapidly and then it killed all the headlights. I knew right away that it was that bi-metal breaker in the switch, so I let it cool off a minute and made it home on the low beams.

Going to use your diagram to wire the relays in. Is there any mod I have to do to the headlight switch?
1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=557675
dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #15
dyno

Quote:

Orrie,

Looks like I need to install the relays. Had my high beams on last night for the first time and after a couple minutes they flashed rapidly and then killed all the headlights. I knew right away that it was that bi-metal breaker in the switch, so I let it cool off a minute and made it home on the low beams.

I'm going to use your schematic to wire the relays in. Is there any mod I have to do to the headlight switch?
1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #16
OrrieG

No, switch stays the same with the wire to the High/Low switch now becomes the exciter wire for the relays. (terminal 86).
Old 07-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
solidaxel

Here is what I have on my square truck.
My neighbor has them on flebay (sunset fabrication), they only require a new 12ga feed from a battery source and a ground
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #18
Russell Ashley

I wired mine as I mentioned before, using only one relay. I haven't measured the voltage at the headlights to see if there is a noticeable drop but the lights seem bright to me and don't go off so I'm happy. I have all new wiring so I wouldn't expect to see much voltage drop at the lights. You can always take it a step farther by using multiple relays but the single relay like I did would probably be sufficient for most of us.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
dyno

Quote:
No, switch stays the same with the wire to the High/Low switch now becomes the exciter wire for the relays. (terminal 86).
Thanks. I'll get a couple relays and wire 'em in. So did you tap into the wires on the harness on the driver's side inner fender or on the firewall? I used a new, stock style harness in my rig that i modded.
1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #20
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno View Post
Thanks. I'll get a couple relays and wire 'em in. So did you tap into the wires on the harness on the driver's side inner fender or on the firewall? I used a new, stock style harness in my rig that i modded.
On my 71 I put the relays up on the core support out of the way but accessible. One for low and one for High beam. It's kind of a farm boy version of what Solidaxle showed in his post. I mounted the relays clipped the wires to the headlights where the wiring passed the relays and put wire ends on and connected the wires to the appropriate pins. I then made up a heavier gauge wire that runs to the battery connecter stud on the inner fender by the battery on my and ran it across the core support and put an inline fuse holder in it with two wires coming out that go to their respective relays. That way the total load on the headlight circuit between the fuse block and the relays is what it takes to trigger the relays.

I actually pulled the relays along with their bracket off a late 80's Jeep Cherokee in a friend's wrecking yard for a couple of bucks.
This isn't pretty but it was cheap and available when I didn't have a lot of pocket change.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #21
dyno

I called Autozone to see what they had for headlight relays and they were clueless as usual. Got a source? Looking for new ones.
1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 PM   #22
OrrieG

I mounted mine on the radiator support up high, see picture. Third relay bracket is for future driving/fog light relay. The relays are Bosch type from Pico I got from a local auto electrical supply and repair shop.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 07-05-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #23
dyno

Thanks for the pic, Orrie. yup, I like where you mounted them. I don't like mounting things on the inner fenders. I will check at that auto electric shop over on Overland and Vista.
1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #24
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno View Post
Thanks for the pic, Orrie. yup, I like where you mounted them. I don't like mounting things on the inner fenders. I will check at that auto electric shop over on Overland and Vista.
Yes it is Huskey Auto Electric, located a couple of blocks east of Vista. That is where I got all my special switches, etc. They only sell quality stuff. Also can rebuild starters, generators, etc. or supply rebuild parts for them. It is only about half a mile from my house.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #25
Russell Ashley

My last comment on this: If you want to use the one relay method you can do it all right at the light switch. I mounted my relay to the top of the kick panel. It's the easiest way to do it and there are no extra wires needed other than the wires from the switch to the relay, and it isn't visible under the hood.