The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Iplumb

Best Supplier - Body Panels and Trim Items

Hello All,
My 15 yr old son and I are rebuilding his 1950 3100. This site has been a huge resource along the way.

We have the chassis done, and have started the body. The cab is going out to get blasted and we have a floor kit and patch panels.

My question is... We are going to buy all new fenders, doors, hood, bumpers, grill etc. etc.

It seems many of the vendors have similar offerings. I am interested in the best quality - IE ease of installation and just not buying junk. We are looking at a large purchase and am wondering what our best option would be?

Thanks,
Mike
Iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Nsanehotrodz

Re: Best Supplier - Body Panels and Trim Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Hello All,
My 15 yr old son and I are rebuilding his 1950 3100. This site has been a huge resource along the way.

We have the chassis done, and have started the body. The cab is going out to get blasted and we have a floor kit and patch panels.

My question is... We are going to buy all new fenders, doors, hood, bumpers, grill etc. etc.

It seems many of the vendors have similar offerings. I am interested in the best quality - IE ease of installation and just not buying junk. We are looking at a large purchase and am wondering what our best option would be?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, give me a call and I will tell you everything you need to know. We install everything we sell. So I can tell you from experience what fits and what doesn't. My shop number is 865-940-1466
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Highsider

LMC in Lenexa, KS, supplied the body shop doing my '57 panel with hood, fender, door repair parts, packing, etc.
Check my "Roof" thread for weld-by-weld details.

http://www.lmctruck.com
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
torchlight

Correct me here please, but I'm of the impression that most of the patch panels are made just by one manufacturers and all resellers sell the same parts in that category.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
gusman

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
Correct me here please, but I'm of the impression that most of the patch panels are made just by one manufacturers and all resellers sell the same parts in that category.
Not too sure on that. My rear cab patch panel did not have a fuel filler hole (I did not want one), and I bought it from Premier Street Rods, the LMC one had the hole..
gusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Iplumb

Thanks for the responses.
A bit of a clarification - What my big concern is the fitment issues with new panels and doors. If we go through the expense of buying all new parts to "save" time and work - I certainly don't want to have to cut and weld to get new parts to fit.
The existing doors have some rot on the bottoms, the rear fenders need a bunch of work (I have a new MAR - K bed on order already) the front fenders, inner fenders and hood probably could be saved without too much work. No rot holes on the front fenders. Running boards are similar in condition. The running board to bed curved pieces are shot.
So - that sums it up. Just wondering what to do.

Mike
Iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Thanks for the responses.
A bit of a clarification - What my big concern is the fitment issues with new panels and doors. If we go through the expense of buying all new parts to "save" time and work - I certainly don't want to have to cut and weld to get new parts to fit.
The existing doors have some rot on the bottoms, the rear fenders need a bunch of work (I have a new MAR - K bed on order already) the front fenders, inner fenders and hood probably could be saved without too much work. No rot holes on the front fenders. Running boards are similar in condition. The running board to bed curved pieces are shot.
So - that sums it up. Just wondering what to do.

Mike
You need to understand that while they make a panel to fit a particular truck that they have at the factory it can be vastly different than yours. Yours could have been previously repaired, crashed, or just torqued from the years of frame/body flex. One hit on a single frame rail can torque the cab permanently and not look out of shape but drive you nuts replacing a cowl or door frame.

I have had new rear panels not fit out of the box but when clamped into place as close as I could get it and let set for a few days they relax to the form close enough to work with. I use Dynacron panels because I've had good luck with them especially the 55-59 cab corners and rocker/steps.

Just remember that any makers panels will not fit exactly out of the box and it may well be your truck not the part.

Fix your doors and fenders and hood. They cause the biggest issue purchased new.
Floors, pillars are usually good from any one.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote