The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
SayBye

Hood Nose Replacement Write Up

If I missed it I apologize but while searching today I couldn't seem to find much on replacing the nose of the hood that's notorious for rusting out on our trucks. I was able to pick up two more hoods last week so I figured with 3 hoods surely I can make one good one. I wanted to test the waters since I had little knowledge on making the swap so I decided to let loose on the worst of my 3 hoods tonight. This is a small recap of the process, although not much detail, its pretty straight forward.

Any suggestions you guys can share would be great. I'm not sure that I did it the preferred way. Once the nose support is removed, how are you guys getting the actual nose off? I used a cutting wheel, seemed to be the only way to get in there since mine was rusted to the point I couldn't see the spot welds.

I researched spot weld bits and actually landed on the one from Harbor Freight. Its $4.99 and is double sided so when one side wears out just flip it over. It had great reviews on their website so I figured Id give it a try. There are roughly 40 spot welds and I still haven't flipped it over to use the other side, def recommend it!

Remove the two supports that are under the hood.

As I said there are roughly 40 spot welds on the underside edge of the hood. First I hit it with a wire wheel so I could see the welds better. I then used a 1/8 bit to drill some pilot holes. After that I was ready for the spot weld bit...

Once all the spot welds are loose, pull the nose support out working it from one side of the other.

Nose support removed.

The next part I wasn't sure of the correct way to go about it, but seeing that my spot welds are completely gone to the naked eye from rust, and I saw no way of even getting the drill and bit in there, I used a cutting wheel and carefully cut down the seam where the hood meets the nose clip.

Nose removed, still plenty of lip on the hood to weld a new nose clip onto the hood.

Nose and support removed.

Take your time when removing the support and when cutting. If able, leave more than what you need when cutting the nose off, you can always come back later and clean it up, reassuring that you have plenty to spot weld the new nose to. Working slow, the job took me about 2 hours. Hope this helps someone!
SayBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
63swag

Re: Hood Nose Replacement Write Up

I've been hoping someone would do a write up on this since all the hoods around my area are rusted out there. I believe that front panel is now being reproduced. looking forward to seeing the completion!
63swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Woogeroo

This thread was added to the Hood Repair Posts category of The body section in your 60-66 FAQ Index.

Thanks for sharing.

-W

NOTE : if this link changes in the future, look for the sticky at the top of the 1960-66 Message Board.
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

nice post.
depending on how it is getting a welder in there to weld the 2 pieces back together, you might look into that glue that they use nowadays to glue new cars together.. some guys have used it with success in doing the small/big back window switch.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 AM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Great job.
I have some similar work to do on mine, but I have a little different route I've had in mind.
But yes, there hasn't been much posted on hood repairs. There was something by Alan awhile back that has some good info.
I'll see if I can find it again.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
jhrusk

I just completed this exact repair in my build thread, i was pleased with the fitment of the new panel.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
SayBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
I just completed this exact repair in my build thread, i was pleased with the fitment of the new panel.
How did u go about removing the panel and how was it getting a gun in there to weld the new panel in place?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
SayBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Great job.
I have some similar work to do on mine, but I have a little different route I've had in mind.
But yes, there hasn't been much posted on hood repairs. There was something by Alan awhile back that has some good info.
I'll see if I can find it again.
If you can find it please share!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
SayBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
This thread was added to the Hood Repair Posts category of The body section in your 60-66 FAQ Index.

Thanks for sharing.

-W

NOTE : if this link changes in the future, look for the sticky at the top of the 1960-66 Message Board.
Sounds good thanks for adding it!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
1963c-10

Great write up!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
ls60apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
nice post.
depending on how it is getting a welder in there to weld the 2 pieces back together, you might look into that glue that they use nowadays to glue new cars together.. some guys have used it with success in doing the small/big back window switch.
yep that's just what I did I used evercoat p/n 00816 to glue it together . theres access in the park light area to get a couple of small sheet metal screws to lock it into position while the glue cures. the evercoat stuff uses a regular caulking gun,but it better be a sturdy one and its tuff on your hand trying to squeeze the glue thru that mixing tip. there are other adhesives like 3m and lord fusor but require a special app gun.
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:54 PM   #12
dwlambert1701

Fixing to tackle this myself. Thanks you the write up
dwlambert1701 is offline   Reply With Quote