The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
midniteblues

paint break on the doors?

my truck was pretty much slathered in flat black(like most of'em in pa) when i got it.
the po didnt do a great job on the doors and jams but from what i could tell there was a very soft paint break line on the doors between the interior and extieror color.
I would really like too duplicate this as close as i can.
painting is really not my thing and i dont know all the tricks on how too tape too acheive a "soft" line. please explain.

also if anybody has pics of a oe paint door latch area that would help.

awe crap i'm posting this in the wrong area
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: paint break on the doors?

See my K20 build linked in my signature below - I believe there are some reference pics but it's a two-tone truck. Just an FYI - the door strikers/latches and attachment hardware were not painted. The OEM finish is a phosphate coating (parkerized).

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
See my K20 build linked in my signature below - I believe there are some reference pics but it's a two-tone truck. Just an FYI - the door strikers/latches and attachment hardware were not painted. The OEM finish is a phosphate coating (parkerized).

I did check out your thread WOW! what a nice truck I gotta start spending some time checking out build threads.

If what i was seeing when i sanded the black off my doors it looked like the paint break was rite near the foil gm logo on the latch/flat part of the door not the folded over edge of the door skin.
it looked to be a very "soft" as in not a definative line but more like a fade from 503 green too 687 green without a tape line.
also mine isnt 2 tone just a differnt interior/exterior color

is what i described how a 67-? door is painted or was i just seeing the effects of me sanding off the black paint and blending the oe colors by sanding.

anybody have a pic of a oe paint 67 door edge around the latch area? I would like too see a 503 color door but i think any oe 67 color would do

the parkerized process looks better than the eastwoods metal blackening kit.
I did my latches with that and they looked like crap. redid them with another "kit" and the had same results. I called them and they advise too "warming the solution" so i tried that with a few small colum parts and they came out "ok".
I still gotta reblast my latches and catches.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Here is an all original '68 that was still painted like a '67. The door jamb in the cab is exterior color with the break being hidden by the door seal. It looks to me like the doors were painted on the truck...just like a repaint. There is even a small amount of over spray in a spot or two.

Ok,I just looked and I didn't take any pictures of that detail. I took pictures for reference but I guess I figured there was no need on that color break because it's just like I said above. I'll take a picture when I get back over there.
Here is one reference picture of another area you might want to see. This '68 had no brow trim. It was a base trim truck with side trim,chrome bumpers,and hubcaps option. Here's the grille paint break on the fender (w/no brow trim):
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote