The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
skorpioskorpio

I need a measurement off of a 4L80E

I know it's a longshot, but other forums where this question may be more appropriote are full of people nowhere near as helpfull as the members here. If anyone happens to have a 4L80E trans lying around I need the measurement from the engine flange to the flat area where the front pump assembly is. My trans guy finally got me my trans case with the bell housing cut off. He was supposed to make this measurement before he cut the bell housing off and figured that simply giving me the cut off piece (which he did with a plasma cutter) was good enough...it's not.

So if anyone happens to have a 4L80E, out of a vehicle, with no converter in it and can just lay a straight edge across the engine flange and measure to the flat area between the pan and the pump I'd help me alot.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: I need a measurement off of a 4L80E

I have one but the converter is still in it and it is on hold after a guy came by the shop on Friday afternoon. Wouldn't it be the same as the 400? Just asking I would thought it would. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
skorpioskorpio

I don't know if a TH400 is the same or not, it's the measurement of the casting dimensions. I know they have the same roots, but then again I know the pumps are not the same.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
c10seconds

I measure 7.5" from the small flat area to the enging flange. Flat area being one of the two corners just below the pump and right above the pan. I have a loose 4L80 in my garage so just let me know if you need a different measurement.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
skorpioskorpio

Sounds like a description of the spot I was thinking of. Should be flat and the same measurement to the rim around the pump, correct? I need to machine my case front to that height and clean up the plasma cutter and grinder mess the trans guy did so I can mill an adapter plate for my 4L60E bellhousing and have it sit flush.

I really, really do appreciate the effort to get that for me, I hope members here know what a great community this board is. If I'd tried to ask this on some of the other boards out there I'd probably have gotten some BS response asking why I wrecked a trans or some such nonsense.