The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
jasonrog

quadrajet and 700r4

I have posted a similar question in the drivetrain section, but have not received much response from there.

For those of you who are running a quadrajet with you 700r4, how do you know if the bellcrank geometry is correct. The problem I am having is that the 1-2 shift seems to be high. ( I have heard that this is normal on a 700) The 2-3 shift happens almost immediately after. A few seconds later, the 3-4 shift happens.

When I slow down and accelerate again, the trans has not down shifted, so I may be doing 15 miles an hour in 4,3, or second gear. The engine just lugs at this point.

I think that I have the cable adjusted properly. I have also heard that the throttle vlalve spring is different from a carb to efi. If this is true, how necessary is it to change and would this cause my problem.

Any advice would be really appreciated as I am getting very frustrated with this trans swap.

Thank you in advance
Jason
jasonrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

it sounds to me that your cable isnt happening right. I assumed that my bellcrank geometry was right 'cause all the mags said to just hook it up & adjust it & it will work right - & for me it did... i got my bracket off a mid-'80ies smallblock & it fits great. I've got my combo in my bel-air right now & I love it. what are you using to lock & unlock the converter? PM me if you want to see how mine shifts - i'm in the city...
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
Injected68LS1

Sounds like you have some bad geometry going on or not enough cable tension. I first would try adjusting the cable so that there is just a little tension on the cable when the throttle is closed. If you don't have this adjusted properly you can actually burn up your tranny because you don't have enough hydraulic pressure on the clutches. When you adjust this you should notice that your shift points will be delayed more. Your final adjustment will be good when your tranny will downshift, when floored, from 4th to 2nd at the lowest mph that your tranny will shift into 4th.

Bowtie overdrives makes a real nice setup for the quadrajet. They make it so you can adjust how hard your tranny shifts and when it shift just from an adjustment on the belcrank and the cable.
Bowtie Overdrive's 700R4, stage 3
Baer 4 wheel discs and 20s
http://iciclelanding.com/aperture?album=2049&view=album
Injected68LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote