The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
5Chevy7

VIN plate / tag replacement or getting one recreated Az Resident

Hello Everyone,

So to start off this crazy discussion I have seen one post off a google search on this forum that wasnt helpful at all. No one seems to know the answer and I figure if I get a few smart heads together we can start helping everyone down the road that neeeeeds VIN Plate replacements.

I bought a 1969 Chevy c10 base truck with mods, and yes it is missing the VIN plate which is in the inside driver door jam. Has the bottom plate, but missing the VIN Plate.

Yes I know you should'nt buy a vehicle missing the VIN plate (The Arizona title I have and the VIN number matches the Number on the frame by the power steering pump) SO Im in good shape there. Could be a different cab, I dont think is though.

Prev owner of the last 10 years said That is the way he bought it and doesnt have the prev owners info before he owned to try to figure out the when what & why...bummer

SO THE QUESTION IS?????

Does anyone know of a place, that -------- makes or recreates these VIN plates?

Here is what I have already went through on research I was doing...

Already called GM heritage with nothing but transfers and other numbers to guys that dont have a clue. No help there and I have called a bunch of people.

Called DATA TAGS off datatags.com and they are only doing passanger vehicles. Gentleman I spoke with said he would of never thought to get the rights to do the trucks as no one wanted them back in the day, but today everybody wants the SWB trucks. Maybe int he future he will start doing them. Not sure. I might be calling this guy back to start asking questions of when he might start doing it?

I have a small knowledge of guys that have went down and had there truck inspected by the police or a level III inspection as they check or dont check and validate your truck to issue you???? I guess a stick on VIN tag?

Maybe I can get a couple of you guys higher up on this site to help me out with this. The bonus is there are a lot of guys redoing these truck and some truck are missing the VIN plates or they're worn or rusted off or the rivots wore out from abuse whatever the case may be this is a big business for all these c10 that are starting to sell today.

Sorry if this is or was repetitive, but there is no solution yet???

I work from home and have plenty of time to help research were I can to help.

I will start posting pictures of my progress of my C10 soon as You will enjoy!

1969 C10 Base
454 turbo 400 ford rear posi 3.73 gears gear drive demon carb thumping comp cam hooker pipes race cell located in rear shaved doors pockets side markers painted frame painted under cab disc breaks and so much more...will be for sale soon on the ol famous ebay when done!

First build too!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Stranny64

Re: VIN plate / tag replacement or getting one recreated Az Resident

Not sure if there is a legal way of doing this. You could try to find a 100% junk truck with a title and matching glove box sticker and then find rivets and swap the tags over.

Warning... I restored a 68 Camaro RS/SS awhile ago and questions like this on their forums got people irate. People had fake vin tags made with crazy options. It seems there is now more 69 Z/28's out there than Chevrolet even produced. Not trying to be a bad guy, just saying...

Hope you can figure something out!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chevy7 View Post

So to start off this crazy discussion I have seen one post off a google search on this forum that wasnt helpful at all. No one seems to know the answer and I figure if I get a few smart heads together we can start helping everyone down the road that neeeeeds VIN Plate replacements.
The answer IS known. Anyone who argues this point is obscuring the obvious.

You cannot re-make a new VIN tag. It is illegal. You will need to get a new state issued VIN assigned (which will likely be a different format than the original GM issued VIN).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chevy7
Already called GM heritage with nothing but transfers and other numbers to guys that dont have a clue. No help there and I have called a bunch of people.
They are not going to know (as you found out). They will have original build content/pricing by VIN for trucks later than 1976 model year, but will not be able to help on a VIN tag replacement (for the reasons stated above).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranny64 View Post

Warning... I restored a 68 Camaro RS/SS awhile ago and questions like this on their forums got people irate. People had fake vin tags made with crazy options. It seems there is now more 69 Z/28's out there than Chevrolet even produced. Not trying to be a bad guy, just saying...
Almost - those were cowl data tags, which have the RPO content (not the VIN tags). Those are more like metal SPID labels.

Reproducing cowl data tags IS legal (presumeably with the original RPO content, not added content).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
volksworld

you cant legally re-pop a tag or anyone could steal anything and re-tag it...if your tag is gone something fishy happened in the trucks past...they dont just wear out or fall off...probably a cab swap but there had to be some element of doubt about the cab's history for them to remove the tag....stuff varies state by state for the dmv's procedures...here in nc had a friend buy a comet...dmv did a vin check...saw the tag was on by regular pop rivits...they found a hidden vin that didnt match...and allowed him to register the car as long as he bought a bond...and i know he just sold it due to health issues....i have to ask him what the new owner had to do....you might not be so lucky in your state
Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
volksworld

just had to laugh....saw the bottom of your post that the truck will be for sale on e-bay soon....boy this sounds familiar
Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chevy7 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I bought a 1969 Chevy c10 base truck with mods, and yes it is missing the VIN plate which is in the inside driver door jam. Has the bottom plate, but missing the VIN Plate.

Yes I know you should'nt buy a vehicle missing the VIN plate (The Arizona title I have and the VIN number matches the Number on the frame by the power steering pump) SO Im in good shape there. Could be a different cab, I dont think is though.

Prev owner of the last 10 years said That is the way he bought it and doesnt have the prev owners info before he owned to try to figure out the when what & why...bummer

SO THE QUESTION IS?????

Does anyone know of a place, that -------- makes or recreates these VIN plates?

Here is what I have already went through on research I was doing...

Called DATA TAGS off datatags.com and they are only doing passanger vehicles. Gentleman I spoke with said he would of never thought to get the rights to do the trucks as no one wanted them back in the day, but today everybody wants the SWB trucks. Maybe int he future he will start doing them. Not sure. I might be calling this guy back to start asking questions of when he might start doing it?

I have a small knowledge of guys that have went down and had there truck inspected by the police or a level III inspection as they check or dont check and validate your truck to issue you???? I guess a stick on VIN tag?

Maybe I can get a couple of you guys higher up on this site to help me out with this. The bonus is there are a lot of guys redoing these truck and some truck are missing the VIN plates or they're worn or rusted off or the rivots wore out from abuse whatever the case may be this is a big business for all these c10 that are starting to sell today.

Sorry if this is or was repetitive, but there is no solution yet???

I work from home and have plenty of time to help research were I can to help.

I will start posting pictures of my progress of my C10 soon as You will enjoy!

1969 C10 Base
454 turbo 400 ford rear posi 3.73 gears gear drive demon carb thumping comp cam hooker pipes race cell located in rear shaved doors pockets side markers painted frame painted under cab disc breaks and so much more...will be for sale soon on the ol famous ebay when done!

First build too!
Before investing any more in that truck call the ADOT and arrange for an inspection of the truck and the documentation you have in order to determine if Arizona will issue a registration and a new title. Bear in mind, changing VIN plates or reproducing a VIN plate is a felony in Arizona. It is likely that they will issue a "salvage" title but if a search of the numbers on the frame etc. shows up on a stolen vehicle list the truck will be impounded and, as Desi Arnaz said, " Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do" so you better have a lawyer!
Closed Thread