The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
rbkagey

69 C10 front end and disc brakes

Here is my question. I am working on my c10 and have a 69 Pontiac Catalina. Will spindles brakes front end and steering work on my C10? Any help would be appreciated. Rick
rbkagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
luvbowties

Smile Re: 69 C10 front end and disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkagey View Post
Here is my question. I am working on my c10 and have a 69 Pontiac Catalina. Will spindles brakes front end and steering work on my C10? Any help would be appreciated. Rick
I think u will find the Cat. has its steering box mounted on inside of frame--opposite from C10. Yet people do graft front ends from cars onto trucks & vice versa.

Your answer depends on how much work you want to do. There are much simpler, easier, & cheaper options if you merely want to have ps and disc brakes on your C10...

...like (1) bolting on a complete front end with its cross member, from '71 thru '87 C10's; or (2) bolting on correct spindles, drag links, ps box & pitman arm, idler arm, and tie rod ends from these same years: while doing this mod, you can simultaneously buy drop spindles should u wish to lower the front. Using these 2 methods, u might(?) be able to use your rotors/bearings, but that would be about all.

Searching our forum, u should find every thing you need to accomplish what u want by utilizing used parts.

HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
rbkagey

Re: 69 C10 front end and disc brakes

Thanks Sam...I guess...wasn't the answer I wanted though...lol....I already have 79 spindles on it...just was hoping parts car would work out..Would the steering colum out of Cat work? And I seen somewhere else where I can use existing pitman arm from c10 and use newer tie rods and then use some special adapter adjusting sleeve. Anyway thanks for the info..Rick
rbkagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: 69 C10 front end and disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkagey View Post
Thanks Sam...I guess...wasn't the answer I wanted though...lol....I already have 79 spindles on it...just was hoping parts car would work out..Would the steering colum out of Cat work? And I seen somewhere else where I can use existing pitman arm from c10 and use newer tie rods and then use some special adapter adjusting sleeve. Anyway thanks for the info..Rick
Without looking, I'd guess the st. column could be made to work. If it has the pin-type collapsible column(pins of melted plastic; easy to remove w/drill--then push one part of st. rod up into the other to shorten column), I'd say that indicates more so that it'd adapt acceptably. I'd love to find an older Caddy with both tilt AND telescopic, AND mount it w/wheel as close to dash as possible. Any seat change in our trucks seems to eat up "belly-space", and yes, I put 2005 Silverado's in mine!

I bo't a tilt-and-telesc. out of a 'vette when gathering parts for my build on a '66; but I let a guy talk me into selling it to him!

Already having the '79 spindles, you're close to go, if u want disc brakes!

Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote