The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Caleb

Upgrading help?

im looking to pull a little more power out of my truck. looking for best bang for buck for my 350 sbc. cam,intake are not options because they are already done. it moves fast for a 4 inch lift and 35's. 0-50 in 6 sec's. after that it loses steam really fast. i mean really fast. so im looking for more top end. turbo, supercharger, heads? looking for budget. i already got a posi 4.11 in the back so thats covered. just what would you guys do and how much money. thanks
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
donut

Re: Upgrading help?

Cam and intake specs would help (more the cam) May already be done, but with what?
When the cam is done, it's pretty much done.

If the cam is done by 4k rpm, not much point in going farther. What are your specs now? Is it laying over because of tune or ??

Posi and 4.11's may NOT be the ticket. Stock on the '73 was 4.10's and about a 31" tire. The '86, 4.10's and about a 32" tire (give or take.)

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Caleb

the cam is the thumpr series from comp cams. its a dual plane air gap intake. no head work or bottom end work done on the motor. ive been looking on strking it but what would machine work cost me? forced induction? pretty much everything now on out is expensive i know but what would be best.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
SkinnyG

Aftermarket heads should improve the top end nicely - what heads are you currently running? If the aftermarket heads can give you a solid boost in compression, you will like the results. I'd like to see at least 10:1 with the Thumpr.

Forced induction is ALWAYS good, but if you go that route, you really have the wrong cam in the engine - you will want a LOT LESS overlap, or you will be blowing boost right out the exhaust.

I'd be curious to see the cost difference between stroking the engine, vs. forced induction. I think boost would be a greater gain than stroking.

Keep in mind you are pushing a house down the street. These trucks aren't fantastically aerodynamic, and aero rears its ugly head the faster you go.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate

Last edited by SkinnyG; 09-11-2014 at 01:07 PM.
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote