The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
NEWFISHER

What happens when you want to bag a 1946

Thanks to all of you who have posted over the years here in the suspension section. Stance and ride quality are usually the top priority with all of us building trucks and I have gleemed a ton of info from all of you.

Im slowing gathering parts for my 46 burb and have almost all of the LS conversion pieces and now working on the suspension I thought I would keep a running log here on the set up to refer back too and to encourage some feedback if you see something I have missed. Heres a shot of what Im working with and a pic of my first attempt at fabbing a mild notch. I have always used 5 1/2" 1/4" wall pipe cut in half as a mild C but the burb wil need a few more inches and no one builds a pre made notch for a 46. Having " outer" fenders really limits how low I can go and it should drop another 9 inches from this pic when im done. Im planning on a triangulated 4 link or 64-71 trailing arms and a watts link both with conveluted bags. Ride height set at 6 at the frame ( boards are lower) with it dropping 4 to 5 inches to park. No one supports off the shelf items for the pre 47 stuff on the rear so Im fabbing the notch and either using a universal tri or the oe truck arms. I have both set ups and armed with a tape measure should be able to figure out what will work best while trying to retain as much interior floor as possible. I will have to cut the floor and move the seat arrangement. Having the tire stuff to the top of the outer fender will limit how low I can go and how much floor needs trimmed.
The front is getting a Full Tilt IFS kit manual rack bags and a sway bar treatment. I chose to run an Air lift V2 hand held display on this one just to avoid cutting up the already thin and narrow dash. Its amazing how much narrower these rigs are compared to the 47-54 and especially the 60-66 and up.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
duallyjams

Re: What happens when you want to bag a 1946

LS swap thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642072

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
NEWFISHER

Thanks James. Was gonna change my sig but with buds like you....hehe
Dropped it an inch tonight! Painted up some stockers added pinners and recycled the spyders. 225/75/15s vs the 235s
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
duallyjams

Headed in the right direction.

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 09-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
NEWFISHER

C notches back from the machine shop. Also got all of my triagulated stuff, bags, V2 and have monted the compressor , tank and harness. Getting reardy for the IFS to show up and still on the fence with a 4 link or use GM trailing arms and a watts link. Need to mock up the triangulated stuff and see if its going to be in the way of the floor when the suspension cycles.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
NEWFISHER

Watts link on order from allday fab and decided to try my hand at a 2 link. Stopped by my buddys rock crawler shop aka Sky-manufacturing.com and pick through some brackets and tabs he makes. Mocked most of it up last night, drew a few things on the trusty napkin and headed back to his shop at lunch. He quickly cut some DOM 1/4 wall tube and tig welded some of his Dodge bushing to the ends while I picked up some items and now I can feel this thing getting lower as I drive it

I have some blocks, u bolts and some fab stuff to tackle to set pinion , but this should get it in there once the watts shows up. I'm running bag in front of axle with a separate little project. Ive been driving it 75 miles round trip back and forth to work so I can spend a couple hours every eve on it before heading back to town. Should be able to get most of the watts/2-link/bag bridge/shock member installed and still have the stock suspension leaving just a day to grind rivets, remove leafs and install bags/lines to the V2 system that is already installed---whoo hooo
Attached Images

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 09-19-2014 at 05:31 PM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
duallyjams

Huh must be nice to have friends like that

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Huh must be nice to have friends like that
I'm like a kid in a candy store when I'm there. He has a 1982 Toyota on 44's on the rack that was a early Truckin', Peterson's etc. magazine cover truck from the 80's! It's super retro cooool. Yeah I miss the days when we would meet up at his shop around 7 with pizzas and barley pop, jump in with the hot wrench and a couple welders and have a spring under jeep shackle reversed and spring over'ed by midnight. We would then take it to the hills with the welds still wam and wheel the snot out of it.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
duallyjams

remember when
back in the day
the good ol days

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
NEWFISHER

Brown truck stopped by while I was at work. Looks like all the bags and control arms were on a slower truck lol. Should keep me busy during november and december! Trying to swap a T5 and a trans x box in the first of October as a temporary solution to eleminate this 3 speed crap box until the LS gets going. The adjustable plates in the pic are rear bag lowers so I can set ride height now while doing the rear set up and then adjust later when the IFS gets installed.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
duallyjams

what's the info on the temp T5 WC, NWC, input spline ? shifter location

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 09-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
NEWFISHER

Quote:
what's the info on the temp T5 WC, NWC, input spline ? shifter location
When I traded for the burb and drove it home a few months back I imediately hated the 3 speed and rushed into the first T5 I could find. Good news its a World Class , bad news its electro speedo. Couldnt find ANY mechanical tail housings but knew down the road I would need a trans x box anyway for the Ls swap to run my old gauge. Its a fwd shift and should be fairly simple to fab up a shifter to the already " close enough" spot in the floor. I have a driveline, astro clutch disc and a universal tube crossmember and T5 mount, just need more days in the weekend. We are having a killer indian summer out here and the river is where ive been spending shop time lately.

I figure once the motor swap is done, the rebuilt 235/ T5 combo would be pretty cool in an old 30s something project
Old 09-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Last_Paladin

subscribing for updates.
Last_Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Paladin View Post
subscribing for updates.
LOL! well, I couldn't wait any longer ( it's only been 7 days since my Indian summer hahaha) and I also picked up a free NWC T5 from an S10 that is also electronic. I have been following a couple threads on different forums regarding the Jeep input shaft T5 swap so I grabbed one of those and went for it. Took about half a day. Driveline yoke ended up being the same 27 spline and didn't use the aftermarket crossmember, just slid the OG one back ( some people don't run a rear trans crossmember with the lighter weight T5?) I also didn't have to do ANYTHING with the bell housing and am taking back the Astro clutch today at lunch!
Here's what I did:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=644565
Old 10-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
NEWFISHER

Started disecting a really nice floor after work. Got the C notch tacked and welded one piece at a time alternating welds and left to right to keep things cool. Trimmed the cap and tacked it on. Will finish welding it tomorrow at lunch with some clean up grinding, cut the middle frame out, weld in the inner C's and then shoot some line x over them. Working inside a finished rig with glass, the body on and a headliner is waaaaay more challenging under a blanket to protect stuff than pulling the bed of a truck! Once I get the rest of my 2 link bars fabbed up and a couple other items tacked in , I will pull the leaf stuff and locate the axle centered in the wheel wells and mark the floor for the 3rd member to travel through. When finished , the top of the axle tube will kiss the bottom of the wood floor and the rear tires will be 1/2 from rubbing the inside top of the outer fenders.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #16
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
LOL! well, I couldn't wait any longer ( it's only been 7 days since my Indian summer hahaha) and I also picked up a free NWC T5 from an S10 that is also electronic. I have been following a couple threads on different forums regarding the Jeep input shaft T5 swap so I grabbed one of those and went for it. Took about half a day. Driveline yoke ended up being the same 27 spline and didn't use the aftermarket crossmember, just slid the OG one back ( some people don't run a rear trans crossmember with the lighter weight T5?) I also didn't have to do ANYTHING with the bell housing and am taking back the Astro clutch today at lunch!
Here's what I did:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=644565
Hey there,
When is it going to rain . I know it is coming soon and be careful what i wish for. PM me and I will meet up with you some time soon. I can never say for sure when I will be at the shop so maybe I can meet you somewhere you will be. Very nice work you are doing by the way.

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
NEWFISHER

Thanks Tom..was good to meet you today!
Say hello to my little friend. A 40" trac bar panhard bar with 2 5/8 bushed johnny joints that flex and are quiet
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Thanks Tom..was good to meet you today!
Say hello to my little friend. A 40" trac bar panhard bar with 2 5/8 bushed johnny joints that flex and are quiet

Like wise Jon. Thank you for lunch and the tour of the JC underground. I meet Jerry and he gave me some Packard work to do. I appreciate everything today.

Stop by the shop when ever you get a chance. Call first as I may be out.

Have a great weekend,
Tom

Old 10-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
NEWFISHER

You will like Jerry. Hes our " Doc" stunt double from back to the future.
.burned in the rest of the C s ast the local muffler shop today. Kenny has a steadier welding paw than I do. Im working on some tie in bracing plating pieces for the back side and covering the topside with bedliner tonight.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #20
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
You will like Jerry. Hes our " Doc" stunt double from back to the future.
.burned in the rest of the C s ast the local muffler shop today. Kenny has a steadier welding paw than I do. Im working on some tie in bracing plating pieces for the back side and covering the topside with bedliner tonight.
That is some very nice work there. It is funny you say that. I was telling the other half earlier about my day and that I had met Dr Emmit Brown Great guy.

Keep it up and have a great weekend,
Tom

Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #21
Ratpin

Subsribed

Takes some cahones to chop up a beaut like that. Don't know if I could stomach it.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #22
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpin View Post
Subsribed

Takes some cahones to chop up a beaut like that. Don't know if I could stomach it.
Ha thanks! If a buddy of mine didnt have an extra frame, I may have not chopped this one or ordered all the ifs stuff. Im saving all the og stuff and can do a stock frame and a body swap if the mood arises....maybe the next buyer, praise the lowered
Old 10-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
NEWFISHER

Installed the overkill pan hard trac bar, upper plate tie bar, plates and lower adjustable axle mounts for the bags today. 100% improvement in handling with the track bar installed with the leaves. Hopecully it will drive this nice on bags! Going to run air lines, tuck up wiring and re plumb the rear brake line so it doesnt conflict with the axle stuffing after work this week. Still driving the truck everyday so a little project here and there to get 90% of it installed and then it will just be one day to remove the leave system and install the 44" 2 link bars with side mounts and bags. V2 System and compressor are working so should just be a plug n play day.
Attached Images

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 10-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
duallyjams

Will the trac bar be parallel once the bags and ride height are set ?

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #25
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Will the trac bar be parallel once the bags and ride height are set ?
Close but not quite parrallel. The axle should move 3/4 inch when it drops from ride height to aired out. Boards should be 1 1/2 " off the ground and the frame will be a few inches higher. This is after the front is done, until then my ride height to "even" out front and rear wont let me fully drop the rear. Built in ajustment and re doing the pinion angle after the front looses the straight axle will get it 1 1/2 " off the grond at the boards.