The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Devins-step

Engine swap advice

Just had a friend offer to give me a 2008 4.8 liter v-8 and 4 speed auto tranny from his wrecked 2008 chevy 3/4 ton van, for my 72 Chevy stepside. My current 350 is OK and has factory a/c, power steering and power brakes. How much work am I looking at to make a swap like this? I am comfortable with the old 350's and such but know next to nothing about newer engines and the electronics and computers involved. Thanks.
Devins-step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
1972BlueC20

Re: Engine swap advice

If he is offering it to you real cheap then you might want to snatch it up if you have room and keep it for later or another project or to resell. I'm not sure on the specs of the 4.8 off hand, but I don't think generally it's one that you'd seek out over maybe a 5.3 or 6.0 for example.

I personally prefer the old school carb engines, they are just so much easier to work on in comparison and there is NO COMPUTER or fab work needed to fit everything together.....also if you can't do the work yourself then you're talking big bucks to do an engine and trans swap like that if you're paying to have it all done....LOTS OF HOURS OF LABOR AND PARTS!!!!

That's just my .02 cents!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Carmen Black

Hopefully he is giving you all the accessories that make up the serpentine belt system as well. But remember, the engine and transmission are only half the expense. You need a whole new fuel system including tank, fuel pump, regulator and lines. Plus getting the computer reprogrammed and wiring harness trimmed. Maybe some exhaust work as well. Plus all the small items no one thinks of until they need them. Hopefully you can make that up selling your current engine and transmission.

All the information is out there from all the people that have done it before you. So if you run into a problem, the solutions are already known. Therefore it probably comes down to just a large commitment of wrench time and your truck being out of action for a long time during the swap.

I would say if you lay in bed at night dreaming of an LS truck then go for it. If you are not sure you want an LS truck, then stick with what is already working.
Carmen Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
Devins-step

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I am ready to tackle a project of this magnitude. I don't even have the truck back from paint yet, so I would hate to wait another 8 weeks plus the additional expense at this time. The 350 that is in it is in pretty good shape and there are no problems with the transmission. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it:!!! Thanks again.
Devins-step is offline   Reply With Quote