The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
DoubleBit

Smokey 327

I tried a short cut to save money and merely "revived" my 327 with fresh heads (who doesn't like fresh head?) and a new cam etc. The bottom end is now telling me in smoke signals that it needed to be done too. My guess is the old cam was so flat the cylinders weren't building enough pressure to hurt the old rings.

I thought I'd found a solution with a bad pcv valve but it's still burning oil bad (like a qt per 200 miles).

Any ideas?

I was thinking of adding a vented oil fill cap. If there is such a critter like for an earlier road draft style engine. My 68 327 still has the original intake and long-tall oil filler.
How about restricting the vac line to the pcv? If the engine is well vented it 'should' be okay?
Is there some kinda baffle or filter or oil separator the pcv is s'posed to vent through? Ja, the valve covers are '68 originals too.

Ja, it would be best to get back in there and do a proper/complete overhaul. I just want to buy some time here.

Thanks y'all.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:09 PM   #2
cdowns

that's the problem of puttin new heads on an old engine
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

We have had very good success with an additive called "Motor
Kote" and you might want to consider adding that in your engine.
It has worked very well to reduce the oil consumption in several
engines.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
DoubleBit

Hmm, I don't usually go to such "bottled" remedies, but with an endorsement like that I'll look and see if I can find it locally.

I still wonder about reducing pcv suction and improving crankcase venting. The smoke is most definitely worse on decelleration on downhills etc...
Old 08-11-2003, 03:29 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Even if you delete the PVC system all together, you'll still be blowing smoke.
What grade of oil you running? I would run a 20/50 or straight 40 and limp it around untill another engine showed up.
you can probably get another small blcok for 200 bucks or less from a junk yard with plenty of miles left in it.
Then you can take your time with the 327 and do it up both right, and the way you want it instead of rushing to get your rig back on the road.
The financial part of it feels better if you spread the cost over a years time too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
DoubleBit

That's a possible plan. Or, I was thinking of getting a short block core, building it and then pulling my engine out for swapping the parts over to the new short block. The oil I have is cheapo 30wt from the dollar store. Anything in straight 40/50 or 20-50 seems to burn about as fast but costs more. Never heard of your long horn pick ups before. Always something to learn.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:56 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

*ungratious plug*
You have clicked on the link haven't you?
Old 08-11-2003, 05:12 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Longhorn pickup......the only truck to have they slide nice & easy under full throttle crazyL, rowin 6 in that old farm truck(bet you cant wipe that smile off my face )
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

Yeah, but they are also the one you have to try pulling into the parking spot 5 times at wall mart...at least untill you figure out that is it so easy to back into the spot.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:15 PM   #10
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Amen Andy! i still 'scrub ' the right rear tire on the curbs once in a while....those boogers are loooong D@mn nice riding handling truck tho........lots of butt end to watch out for when they are sliding tho.... crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #11
DoubleBit

Yeah, an informative link. Gotta wonder how it is I've never seen one of them long trucks before. Maybe more prevalent in the mid-west?
Guess I better getting on the horn and find a short block to build. (pun intended)
Old 08-13-2003, 05:26 PM   #12
Longhorn Man

You have probably seen them...just didn't notice it. There were a total of 25,442 made, plus I'm sure there was a few cab/chassis trucks where the owner extended the bed them selves. (that is my theory on a board member's longhron)