The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
oborowsk

86 Chevy C10, 305, Engine rebuild, no spark

Hi guys,
Just got my rebuild 305 back (86 chevy C10, Calif. emission) Tranny mounted and motor is back in. Hooked up all the wiring to the best of my knowledge but no spark, in other words, engine turning but not firing (no spark). Question about the wiring: Schematics show that there should be a pink and white wire going to distributor (BAT and TACH). Can't find anything with that color or connector that would fit. Please take a look at the attached photos.
Where does the connector with diode across go? Can seem to find a place to put it.
Where does connector Pink/Tan go? Same thing, can't find a location to put it.
Last and most important question: Distributor has space for two connector. Found one that goes into the 3 prong male on the distributor. Looks like the outer pins are also connected to BAT and TACH. BAT should be constant voltage from ignition so I assume you have to connect something to this 2 prong male. What does this connector look like? The 4 prong connector to ECM is a no brainer. There must be a connector that supplies 12V to BAT. Again, what does that look like? Any photos or guidance would be appreciated.
Name:  Conn with Diode.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  Conn Pink Tan.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  Conn Distributor.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  Distributor Male.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  93.4 KB.
oborowsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: 86 Chevy C10, 305, Engine rebuild, no spark

Checked out my 83, in the first pic, the black and green wire hooks into the AC compressor, pics 2 and 3 look like they plug into the dist cap, on pic 2 are you running a factory tach? i'm only running a single pink wire, the pink and tan wire plug, does it fit on the cap?
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
oborowsk

Thanks for the quick reply. Knowing that connector with diode goes to A/C helped a lot. Previous owner ripped out all the A/C stuff so must have been dangling in the engine compartment for a while. But, it made me look for a pink wire again and I found it tugged away. 12V with ignition on and 0V in any other position. And, it fits on the distributor. Must not have a Tach wire (white).
After this, finally see a spark. Partial success, engine gets spark but still doesn't run. Still haven't found a place for the connector in photo 2. Maybe essential for the car to run? I also put in a new fuel pump (mechanical). When the engine turned over, was squirting gas so I assume pump is working. But, as the engine cranks, I assumed I should be smelling fumes from the fuel, which I don't. Need to figure out now why I don't smell any gas at the carb.
What do you mean by "running factory tach"? Bought the truck used about 6 month ago and it wasn't running. Had the engine rebuild and trying to get it going again. Everything looks factory except for the radio :-). Once it's running, I got to hook up all the emission stuff and get it smogged. That's another challenge.....but one step at a time. Again, thanks for your help!
oborowsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

can't see the colours but pic 2 looks like it the back plug for the coil(no fire without it)
out of dizzy base to coil cap
it's keyed to fit one way
behind the tach and ign plugs.
where the wire bends into the dizzy can break too
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote