The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
crakarjax

Advantages/Disadvantages to these (brake,fuel) line clips?

I'm considering using two different types of clips to attach my lines to the frame/crossmember. The first looks really clean, and basically secures the line between the clip and frame with friction.

The second type has a rubber piece that insulates the line, looks kind of crappy but also would hold the line off the frame a bit to prevent rubbing better.

I'm wondering what others have used? I like the simplicity of the stainless "p" clips but it seems like they might put more stress on the line compared to the padded type.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
jlaird

Re: Advantages/Disadvantages to these (brake,fuel) line clips?

I don't think stress will be much of an issue. I did look at the stainless ones when I was shopping for them and wondered if there would be any movement of the line between the clip and frame. I like the functionality of the rubber ones u pictured, but like you said, the looks of them are not the greatest if your're going for more of a custom look. For that reason, I went with these and really liked them:

https://www.made4uproducts.com/
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Why not make your own? Two pieces of 3/8 X1/2 X 36 inch aluminum bar stock clamped together in a drill vise. Drill 1/4 and 3/8 in holes using the sep line between the bar stock as a guide, saw them to length and cross drill for the mounting screw. Takes about 20 minutes to make 2 dozen and the cost is 3 dollars if you buy the stock at home depot. They look good when they're done, too!@
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
jlaird

Nice Fitz!
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Why not make your own? Two pieces of 3/8 X1/2 X 36 inch aluminum bar stock clamped together in a drill vise. Drill 1/4 and 3/8 in holes using the sep line between the bar stock as a guide, saw them to length and cross drill for the mounting screw. Takes about 20 minutes to make 2 dozen and the cost is 3 dollars if you buy the stock at home depot. They look good when they're done, too!@
That does look pretty nice! Interesting routing that you have there, too. That's not a compression fitting that I see, is it