The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
dunce79

Question 59 Camaro clip questions

I have 59 Fleetside shortbox that I'm going to be starting on and I want to put a camaro clip on it. I just had a couple questions while trying to decide what clip to buy. As I understand it the 70 and up clip is slightly wider so its harder to run wider/bigger rubber if the truck is low, and mind will be. I like the look of a wider tire/rim up front. However, the 69 and older clips have rear steer possibly making header fitment and attaching the column to the steering gear more of a challenge.

I have a 69 Camaro with a smallblock, stock suspension and 3/4 full length headers so I know there are headers that fit. I guess the first question would be:
1. if using a 67-69 clip is there much of a problem getting the steering gear attached to the column? I will most likely replace the column and wheel with something newer/tilt ect.

2. If using a 70 and up clip what size tire/wheel can be run without running into major clearance issues? I'm guessing I'll have my truck sitting so that its about 4 inches off the ground at its lowest point.

Thx
dunce79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
tmoble

Re: 59 Camaro clip questions

1. there can be. the early sub is rear steer and the box ends up sort of close to the firewall leading to sharp angles and multiple u-joints. I've seen several of these I wouldn't be comfortable driving.

2. I have a 70-81 sub under my 57 that's pretty low, I'm running 235/60r-15 on stock type 7" Ralley wheels. No issues with tire clearance, at least after I got rid of the poorly repaired caved in front fender. By pretty low I mean I have to work to get a floor jack under the crossmember. On this setup the steering shaft is an easy money deal. Mine has hardly any angle, one U-joint.

Be aware, the early Camaro front is similar to an early Chevelle as far as the basic geometry. The spindles are short and the upper arm mount is comparetively high, leading to a roll center that's well below ground level. This causes body roll, especially with the higher center of gravity of a truck body. This and the steering shaft deal are why I wouldn't choose the early Camaro sub-frame.

The 70-81 Camaro sub has tall spindles giving an above ground level roll center. The steering shaft is a no-brainer. You can use all stock GM parts for 12" brake setup, just need the spindles off a Caprice police car.

My truck has 70-81 sub with 1.25" stabilizer bar, 12:1 steering box and a 88 Vette rear axle assembly. It drives like a Camaro or Corvette.

All this, of course, is IMHO, YMMV, others have different opinions, etc, etc.

Last edited by tmoble; 09-18-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: imagudsplr
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
dunce79

tmoble, Any rubbing issues with your 235/60s? If you can fit those without issue thats good to know. I doubt I'd want much bigger/wider up front than that.
dunce79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
tmoble

no, except the RF I had was smashed in by a sideswipe I had back in the 80s. It would rub on sharp turns if there was somebody sitting in the passenger seat. It's pretty low, see pics:
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Actually you can use the early rear steers on these trucks with zero ill affects. It has nothing to do with safety why people chose the front steer unit. Rear steer clip can affect your header choice which could also affect the choice to run a big block. It has nothing to do with safety it has to do with tight spaces.lol All clips can be unsafe if install incorrectly.

Here is the what I did on on AD truck to resolve the the ujoints. I install a double d on the box and ran a ujoint. With a little engineering you can use almost anything safely. None of this stuff is plug and play you have to be creative sometimes.

That said, I do believe the 70-81 Camaro/Firebird is a better choice for the 55-59 Chevy truck but it has nothing to do with safety.

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-19-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
tmoble

Bam, your setup there looks pretty good, best I've seen with an early subframe.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
Bam, your setup there looks pretty good, best I've seen with an early subframe.
Thanks buddy
Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
tmoble

Bam, my old truck looks so grungy compared to the yellow one. It's been my daily driver since 1984 and doesn't get prepped much. Big changes coming soon, guess I'll have to start a build thread. I think it's going to be white with red trim. That way I won't have to repaint the frame much. I painted it in 1993 should last forever, right?

I just spent $12K on sheetmetal, 350 EFI engine, 4L60E, two computers, a whole bunch of chrome and other shiney stuff. Amazing how fast it went. 4 fenders, tailgate and 55 hood. Soon it'll be my turn to gripe about chinese repop parts.

Last edited by tmoble; 09-19-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
Bam, my old truck looks so grungy compared to the yellow one. It's been my daily driver since 1984 and doesn't get prepped much. Big changes coming soon, guess I'll have to start a build thread. I think it's going to be white with red trim. That way I won't have to repaint the frame much. I painted it in 1993 should last forever, right?

I just spent $12K on sheetmetal, 350 EFI engine, 4L60E, two computers, a whole bunch of chrome and other shiney stuff. Amazing how fast it went. 4 fenders, tailgate and 55 hood. Soon it'll be my turn to gripe about chinese repop parts.
Yeah you should start that build thread so we can see you crying the blues like the rest of us.lol

About those repop parts man I'm just glad we have something to work with even if they are not perfect they are better than nothing. At least thats what I tell myself after I calm down from all the cussing and being frustrated with them.lol
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
tmoble

I'm in the Phx area, Valley of the Sunstroke. I've been looking for decent used parts for 3 years. All I can find is junk or massively overpriced original stuff. So, learn to work with the china repop stuff.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Speedbumpauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabwe View Post
yeah you should start that build thread so we can see you crying the blues like the rest of us.lol

about those repop parts man i'm just glad we have something to work with even if they are not perfect they are better than nothing. At least thats what i tell myself after i calm down from all the cussing and being frustrated with them.lol
you cuss???????????
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
tmoble

I'm sure he would never do such a thing.