The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Smurfeh

TCC GenIV lockup

Alright, 2007 dbw Gen4 4L60e 84 K5 Blazer.

I think my Tq converter isn't locking up. Is it 12v when brake is applied or 0v? I had it wired through the brake light switch where the cruise would normally go, but it didn't feel right.

Aside from using a relay, is there an easier way to make this connection if it requires 12v when depressed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Smurfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: TCC GenIV lockup

I believe a change occured between gen III and gen IV and they switched around the wiring of the TCC lockup. IIRC, the brakelights were on=ground, so if the resistance of the tail lights isn't enough it may not know its on.

Do you have led tail lights at all?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
DLW

It was my understanding you need 12v to lock the converter so you would want the 12v when the brake pedal is not depressed. Sounds like you already wired the brake switch right though using the cruise side of your switch to the PCM for 12v when brake is not pushed, right? Push the brakes then cuts power on cruise side and applies power on brake light side?

They do have this switch http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCC-BRAKE-SW...-/170795187396 which has a NO and a NC position on each side of the switch depending on position of the switch. This should be the same type of switch you already have I would think though.

Only other thing I can think of is the PCM to trans TCC wire not functioning or your existing brake/cruise switch works different than needed, there is only 2 wires that control the lockup I believe, PCM to brake pedal and PCM to trans, and of course there is always the tuning part or other issues like misfires, etc..

Last edited by DLW; 09-21-2014 at 03:37 AM.
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
aknovaman

That ebay switch is available at autozone for about $12. Free at the local u wrench it.
FMCDH GBU and GBA
http://www.youtube.com/user/aknovaman/videos
aknovaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Hart_Rod

GEN IVs are wired opposite of GEN IIIs, in reference to A6s, not sure about A4s....
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Smurfeh

No Led tail lights, I had it hooked up to the Nc contacts on the break switch.. so when the brake is depressed 0v would go to the Tq Converter. This set up has made me believe the Tq converter is not locked up. The brake Switch I'm using is the NC NO contact switch that is there default on an 80's truck with cruise.

Based on Hart Rods statement, I assume everyone is giving me advice on the GenIII.. This engine is an LH6 GenVI I could run a relay through that brake like switch and have it power the coil on the relay I guess to kick the 12v to the Tq Convert when depressed.. but I was wondering if there was an easier way.

EDIT: Also, brake like resistance to ground .3ohms
Old 09-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
DLW

In that case, it seems you will need the 12v when bake is applied and ground when not applied ..

Hart_Rod, did you use a relay and a 1K resistor to ground on yours? Do you need the relay or can you use the dual contact switch like I posted above , run ECM wire to brake light side (N/O), jumper that to the other side (N/C), and run that to ground with a 1K resistor without the use of relay?

I'm also going to tackle this in the near future so very curious myself.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfeh View Post
Based on Hart Rods statement, I assume everyone is giving me advice on the GenIII.. This engine is an LH6 GenVI I could run a relay through that brake like switch and have it power the coil on the relay I guess to kick the 12v to the Tq Convert when depressed.. but I was wondering if there was an easier way.

EDIT: Also, brake like resistance to ground .3ohms
Rob is 100% correct about the Gen IV being different (12V when brake is applied and ground when not applied). The easy way (no relay) is to splice the TCC wire into the white wire in the factory harness that goes from the factory brake switch to the tail lights.

If you do decide to use a relay, it has to ground the TCC signal wire when the brake is not applied or the converter still won't lock.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
DLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
Rob is 100% correct about the Gen IV being different (12V when brake is applied and ground when not applied). The easy way (no relay) is to splice the TCC wire into the white wire in the factory harness that goes from the factory brake switch to the tail lights.

If you do decide to use a relay, it has to ground the TCC signal wire when the brake is not applied or the converter still won't lock.
If you use the TCC wire into the factory brake switch, is it a ground when brake is not depressed or open?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW View Post
If you use the TCC wire into the factory brake switch, is it a ground when brake is not depressed or open?
When the brakes lights are off, the filaments are essentially low ohm resistors that "pull" the signal wire to near ground potential. There aren't a lot of Gen IV things that are easier than Gen III, but wiring the TCC is one of them
Old 09-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
Smurfeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
The easy way (no relay) is to splice the TCC wire into the white wire in the factory harness that goes from the factory brake switch to the tail lights.

I see what you're suggesting, paralleling the 12v when the pedal is depressed through the TCC wire and ground (white) but wouldn't that 12v go straight to ground instead of through the Tcc wire? thus creating the same situation?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfeh View Post
I see what you're suggesting, paralleling the 12v when the pedal is depressed through the TCC wire and ground (white) but wouldn't that 12v go straight to ground instead of through the Tcc wire? thus creating the same situation?
Nope. Current will flow through both wires (the TCC wire and the white wire to the brake lights). The easiest way that I know how to explain it is that both loads (the brake lights and the TCC wire to the TCM) are going to pull a finite amount of current that is dependent on the load. As long as the current source (battery + alternator) has enough capacity (read amps) to feed both loads, both of them will "take what they need".
Old 09-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
Smurfeh

I read yah! That should work, leaving the other posts on the switch for cruise!
Love parallel circuits, the 12v will be constant but the amperage would split dependent on the load on both sides (TCC and Brake lights). Thanks I'll give it a shot and report on the results.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
DLW

Thanks dayj1, I definitely over thought this. I see now you only need a resistor and maybe a relay if your using LED tail lights to simulate that bulb filament. Otherwise you can just run the TCC wire to a regular brake switch and your done...I was sort of miss-lead and thanks for clearing this up..