The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Lost81c10

Need your advice for painting grille/bezels

Hope all is well with everyone.
I am ready to paint my grille on my 85 but wanted to ask a few questions before I pulled the trigger. Currently it is all cleaned, sanded with 600 and ready to spray but can’t decide whether to use Duplicolor rattle can or some two part paint which would also be in a rattle can, but with activator as the likes of Eastwood except from my local paint dealer who said they can match any color in a enamel/urethane/acrylic (I am thinking Urethane if o go this route)
Can I assume that one of the main factors of either choice (duplicator/two part) is cost or is it that the two part stuff does not work well for the grille?
What about durability from one compared to the other? How long would each one hold up for?
I keep trying to convince myself out of spending $60 on paint/primer by going w/ Duplicolor and if it does not last but for a few years (please tell me if I can expect longer) that it might be easier to redo (use some lacquer thinner/scuff and repaint not too much elbow grease) but maybe a two part will be that same…don’t know or maybe spending the $60 be worth the difference?
So what kind of paint were these originally painted with from factory? Was it enamel, acrylic, urethane…(for either one, would it have been in a two part?)
Now for my prep process (let me know if I need something else):
- Washed/cleaned
- Sanded w/ 600, is this enough?
- Can I use lacquer thinner/acetone to wipe it before paint?
- Is there something that I need to use on the plastic before primer/paint for better adhesion? And would it be different if using Duplicolor as it would be for two part paint?
- Would you recommend clear coat for durability or is it going to make it too shinny?

Thanks for all the help.
Attached Images

Lost81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
775stepside

Re: Need your advice for painting grille/bezels

Honestly I would just use duplicator and do about 3-4 coats. If you put clear it will be shiny depending on how you want it to look. And 600 grit is fine. I did my headlight housings on my 77 on the inside part black with dupli color and it looks fine
775stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
775stepside

775stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
ont_guy_38

Owned a shop for many years and sprayed a lot of this kinda stuff with duplicolor and never had an issue. Washed/cleaned-yes, 600 is fine, lacquer thinner will be too strong for the plastic grille, use some kind of wash and wipe or alcohol, there are primers for plastic but you will probably be fine just painting over what you have. Clear coat will help protect it but will be way too glossy.

1985 C10
2004 Avalanche
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I do a lot of parts restoration and for exterior use like the bezels and grill, I use interior plastic paint custom mixed by a Car Quest affiliated paint supply store that is color matched with UV inhibiting agents, semi-gloss resins in Argent Silver and after the parts are painted you can apply a satin clear. None of this is available in a ready to shoot spray can.

Yes, custom paint is an area where I suggest spending quality time and money to do it once.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont_guy_38 View Post
Owned a shop for many years and sprayed a lot of this kinda stuff with duplicolor and never had an issue. Washed/cleaned-yes, 600 is fine, lacquer thinner will be too strong for the plastic grille, use some kind of wash and wipe or alcohol, there are primers for plastic but you will probably be fine just painting over what you have. Clear coat will help protect it but will be way too glossy.
Thanks for the info. Was the duplicolor you would use in a rattle can? Also would acetone still be too strong to clean the grille?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
I do a lot of parts restoration and for exterior use like the bezels and grill, I use interior plastic paint custom mixed by a Car Quest affiliated paint supply store that is color matched with UV inhibiting agents, semi-gloss resins in Argent Silver and after the parts are painted you can apply a satin clear. None of this is available in a ready to shoot spray can.

Yes, custom paint is an area where I suggest spending quality time and money to do it once.
Thanks G. I will check with the supplier to see if they can do what you mention and put it in a rattle can with the activator punch kind, just to check all my options.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
68post

Acetone is a very strong solvent - I wouldn't use it.
I didn't have to clean or sand mine to get a great finish, but you do want to spray it from the backside first and then spray the front - to prevent overspray.
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
Chaplain

Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Shifty One

I just did mine, (used VHT Ford Argent Silver wheel paint, because it's tough to resist rock chips), and I scrubbed mine with Dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush.
Shifty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
jb3t

QUESTION... I am about to embark on painting my ('78) grille as well. Can you let me know what you all did for prep work?

While the grille is fine, the headlight bezel has some pitting. Do you just sand that down?
Attached Images

jb3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
jb3t

Hola... Anyone got any tips on the above? I may pull the dptrigger this weekend.
jb3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:47 AM   #13
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3t View Post
Hola... Anyone got any tips on the above? I may pull the dptrigger this weekend.
I'm curious about what can be done to this area also. I hope they can be polished somehow...
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote