The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Freddy67

Shorten steering column question

Recenty I asked and recieved a lot of helpful info on shortening my steering column on my 67 C-10. i want to try it, but want to be SURE:
I have a manual 3 on the tree column. Will shortening it affect the shift linkage?
I understand the shortening process but dont see any info about that.
Any advice is appreciated!
Freddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Shorten steering column question

First off welcome to the site. I have done a shortening cause I was a bigger man than I am now. I recently have loss a 100 LBS since the last time I was in my truck, I had added a tilt and a shortened it to help give me a little more room. I am 6foot 3 inches tall also so I NEED room but I have not done one nor have I heard of one being done on a 3oot truck. I have a 5 speed plan in place for the build I have going for the truck that is a 3 speed[ I have 3 builds ongoing]. For the column I took a van column and "shaved" the shifter hump and filled it and then welded the inner shifter tube to the outer in the park position then cut off the shifter ear. I then welded the little hole for the screws on the shift indicator and then once everything was smooth I primed it with high build primer to paint the int. color of the truck so I can have a floor shift tilt column. It is the only one of the three that will be small block or man. trans so I liked the thought of the 5 speed in it. I am taking two T-5's to make the best shifter location[Camaro and S-10]. Anyways enough about me sorry to ramble.
I think if you were to shorten yours you will need to readjust your shifter rods at the top of the column. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote