The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Emesis

New 58 project

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I just acquired a 1958 3100 Apache 4x4. No its not Napco, but I am still trying to identify it. Any help what to look for would be appreciated.
I am trying to find out what size rims and tires the 4x4 would have came out of the factory with and what style hubcaps.

Please help......I need tires bad.
Emesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: New 58 project

Mine is running a 74 drive train on 59 frame and springs, look early in the build thread for clear pics of the axles etc. Most 4wd 1/2 ton had 6 lug 16 steel wheels. 3/4-1 ton had 8 lug in 16 and 16.5 in diameter. In 73 the wheels changed to allow for disc brake caliper clearance. Later wheels will bolt on earlier axles, but earlier will not clear the calipers. 68 on had the same hubcap mounting, 10.5 inches for 6 lug, 11.5 for 8 lug. 68-72 caps came painted or chromed stainless. 73 on were a different style.

Only reason I know so much about those is I searched for 4 years to find a good set of 68-72 chrome 4wd caps and trim rings. Before 68 the cap diameter is smaller and will not fit the disc wheels. 2wd six lug trucks usually had 15" wheels, steel and ralley type. If you are going to paint them, fixiable examples are relatively inexpensive. Chrome ones that are not dinged up or scratched are rare and expensive ($40-50 each and 4wd are hard to find). I just kept watching ebay for someone to post good ones at a low BIN price and jumped on it. I had to buy a total of 8 caps in various sets to get 4 good ones.

Go to ebay and do a search on Chevy truck wheels, there are usually all types there. I don't have the list with me, but there are some auto poverty caps that will fit too, but since they came on the COPO cars they usually demand a pretty high price.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Emesis

Re: New 58 project

Thanks. I have a 6 bolt with drum brakes on the front and rear. It has warn lockouts on it. It looks to be early axels I'm going to look at the transfer case and axels tomorrow.
I know hubcaps are hard to find. I've been looking for hubcaps for my 71 3/4 ton for about a year. I've been looking for the white ones with blue bow ties.
Emesis is offline   Reply With Quote