The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
brawley
Easy Does It

What to do ??

I have an all original 68' with a inline 6 and 3 on the tree, my original plan was to keep it that way, spent a lot of money on new cam, carb, dist., headers and exhaust all new hoses belt plugs ect... however the engine has developed a bad knock and there is metal in the oil...I can have it completely rebuilt for around $1100..I also found for sale a 327 engine with Saginaw 4 speed for $1700. It will need more parts to complete and changes to be made -exhaust, driveshaft ect...where as the inline will not need any extras. Should I rebuild the 6 and save the extra money for other needs on the truck or spend the extra and go with the swap??
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
leftybass209

Re: What to do ??

You are in a unique position. The inline 6 (in general) costs more in performance parts than an SBC. Both get similar gas mileage, but it's obvious the SBC can out perform the 6 on all fronts, especially when equal money is put into both. Do you want to go against the norm and build a 6, or flow with the tried-and-true SBC? The only thing I could say about the SBC is go to a junkyard and you'll find every part and piece for that engine so the missing parts are a non issue. It's really up to you and your preferences. I think a 6 is super cool, but I won't ditch my SBC to pick one up.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
jimbosprint

Re: What to do ??

My last Chevy project was a 72 Nova with a 250 6 cyl in it. Ran good, low miles, and I really wanted to make a hot rod from that engine. I was going to get dual exhaust, headers, HEI and more.

But when a rebuildable 350 came my way, I decided the availability of parts made it a better choice in the long run. And I was glad I did, because the extra performance was really nice. I also believe that if you aren't going for 100% original, you might as well make it the car/truck you really want.

I'd go with the small block.
jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: What to do ??

Will your performance parts already purchased--and rest of truck--fit a 292 Chevy 6-cylinder? Looks like the long blocks, remanufactured with a 3-year warranty, can be bought for approx. $1500 from stores like O'reilly's, Advance, etc.

Lotsa torque completely stock, still stock-looking under the hood, and fun to be had with a 6-banger! And, if parts interchange, no wasted $ on your part other than cam, maybe.

Just a fun thought that crossed my mind.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote