The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
SayBye

One step forward, two steps back. I6 No Start

after researching most of the day I came home ready to get started on my shift linkage, get home and go the start the truck and it cranks and cranks, but wont idle or run. I can put my foot on the gas, and it'll fire up and run while im feathering the gas, as soon as I let my foot off the gas, it doesn't idle, just dies.

I swear if its not one thing its another with this truck...

Shot a quick video to help yall get a better idea of what Im dealing with. The truck ran fine yesterday, however it may have ran out of gas or almost ran out of gas. I put three fresh gallons in it earlier. the sending unit is sending gas as it should be.

Any ideas would be awesome. Heres the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOWi...ature=youtu.be
SayBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
64shortbed

Re: One step forward, two steps back. I6 No Start

Stuck float??
Old 09-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
T2vigil

I too think it is a stuck float. But you could also check on a totally plugged filter. Keep us posted on the results. A rebuild kit would not hurt.
T2vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
T and S

Second plugged filter. If you ran it that low on gas probably sucked up a bunch of junk.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
bullwinkle3331

I had a very similar situation recently with my '65 C20 with a 292. When I first got the truck I did the usual things.....Tune Up, Carb Rebuild, Fuel Pump Replace, etc.
Then one day I was low on gas and it started sputtering, then finally would not start....Put fresh gas in, rebuilt the Carb again, etc.
Finally took it to a shop that I deal with and found that the Distributor was worn out. They found it by adjusting the points, started it up and the points went out of adjustment again.....I mean way out. We put in a new Rebuilt Distributor and that took care of the problem.

This may not be your issue - but check the points and make sure that they are set correctly(static).
Just a thought from someone that recently was knocking his head against the walll.

Good Luck!
bullwinkle3331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

One way would be to choke the engine....you should have a choke on that carb...sounds like its running way to lean causing it to starve for fuel...choking it would help richen the mixture and since you have to keep your foot on it that tells me yer float is no doubt stuck....take a hammer an tap the bowl of the carb....then try and crank it again. The tapping will help set the float free...also one of your jets may be clogged. Its something in the carb my man.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #7
66Submarine

It seems like it tried to start when you held it wide open (0:45), but stopped when you worked the throttle and dumped more fuel in it (0:48), which would seem like flooding to me.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
SayBye

Here's another topic I might as well cover in this thread... I know my choke isn't hooked up and I have no idea how its sposed to look, whats there, what itsnt, etc. The PO had it off and I know he didn't install it back correctly....

A.) how's it susposed to look with the choke hooked up? what am I missing, etc.

B.) am I missing anything else on my carb? (took breather off for pics)
Attached Images

SayBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
ACK

Below is a pic of how it should look. The spring on the throttle lever appears to not have any tension, see how it's at 12 o'clock on your carb and on mine it's around 6 o'clock. The choke position in my pick is how it sits with no choke. There's a lot of diagrams of the Rochester B on the internet and sites showing step by step how to rebuild, all good reference for how it should look. Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
luvbowties

Smile Re: One step forward, two steps back. I6 No Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayBye View Post
Here's another topic I might as well cover in this thread... I know my choke isn't hooked up and I have no idea how its sposed to look, whats there, what itsnt, etc. The PO had it off and I know he didn't install it back correctly....

A.) how's it susposed to look with the choke hooked up? what am I missing, etc.

B.) am I missing anything else on my carb? (took breather off for pics)
SayBB, the pic in your lower right shows the choke completely closed, or "ON", only needed when cold starting, and then should be opened. Open the choke plate manually--it is flooding when it tries to start. You prolly need to push choke rod all way "IN" to open choke--may even need to temporarily remove the choke "wire/cable" at the carb until you get it running well. Then find a diagram & install choke cable & linkage correctly.

Your "22712 lever" looks to be on backwards (and maybe also upside down?? try both & see.) and needs repositioning such that your rpm-idle speed screw has something to screw 'against'--look at ACK's pic, for starters. Sorry cannot be more specific, but it's been awhile since I've worked on anything but 4-bbls.

HTH,
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 10-03-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added info
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
IHutch5R

I had the same problem you are having.. found the throttle lever sitting how yours was. Once that was corrected it would only start but not stay running. Getting that throttle lever right, setting the choke to where it opens and closes should get it running if your points are gapped right. Then once its running set your idle. Anytime I've adjusted my choke cable I've had to readjust my idle. Hope this helps!
IHutch5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
IHutch5R

Ack has a good pic of how it should look also.. here's how mine is. Just make sure the retention spring where the throttle lever mounts is on correct.
Attached Images

IHutch5R is offline   Reply With Quote