The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
NurseBen

Engine swap question

Hello, I have a '69 CST with a 350 that I would like to replace. I have access to a 1996 K2500 Suburban auto transmission with 150,000 miles for free. I have been looking at a 383 for a replacement but with this costing nothing would it be an option? Would it just end up being a nightmare of wires? Would it even fit? I know nothing about these engines but doing a quick google search it looks like a 454 TBI. Is this engine just a pig and would I better off just passing? Thank you for your replies, Ben.
NurseBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Engine swap question

First off the transmission for the K truck is not gonna work for you in your truck as it is of course 2 wheel drive and they are different but you could find someone to trade or sell that trans to and buy another, or use what you have now, although it is not the best option if it is a th 350. However thousands of people run the TH 350 behind a 454 without a problem. There will be tons of wiring for the Vortec 454 but you can have the factory harness rewired to work in your truck or buy a new stand alone harness. Both will end up with only three or four wires from your truck to hook up to the motor to make it run. You will have to have the computer out of the suburban to have it reprogrammed as well. All of these thing are not new so you won't be going off into untoched ground and there will be people that can and will help if you so decide to go that way and need it . Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
NurseBen

Re: Engine swap question

Thank you for your reply, could I just keep all the computerized controls on the transplanted engine? what do you mean by reprogrammed? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a feel for what it would take.
NurseBen is offline   Reply With Quote