The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2003, 07:14 PM   #1
72BLAZERDUDE

Exhaust on lowered Blazer

Im doing a 4/6 drop on my Blazer and also need to replace the exhaust sys. I have the shorty headers. I want to run the pipes up between the frame rails but I have talked to 3 muffler shops and all 3 gave me grief about doing it. One guy even told me I should reconsider how much I am dropping it, that it is to low for the road if you have to put the exhaust up in the frame. None of them wanted to cut the holes for the exhaust to run through the middle crossmember. Am I asking to much. Do I really need to put it up that high if I am not dropping it with air bags. Does this cause problems with welding it up what about the crossover. Just not sure what way to go.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

i ran my exhaust under the crossmember, the muffler sat right under the rear top shock mount crossmember with turn downs. I really didn't hit anything oddly enough. You are not asking much..... I'd look for a better shop if these guys are crying about a little fab. work.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
chiphayes

i ran into the same thing,i ordered 2 mandrel bent 90s from summit racing,cut the 3 hole flange off of the shorty headers,shortened the 90s with a sawzall.welded the 90s on were the flange used to be,that also eliminates the collector gaskets,then the muffler shops did there thing.if you have angle plug heads,good luck on getting you plug wires on and off.
chiphayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
Glen

I just ran my exhaust, I kicked it out behind the tire and ran it down the side of the frame rail, the mufflers are right at the front of the cab and then it goes over the axle and out behind the tire
Attached Images

Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
tommie
97' Tahoe 2dr/2wd

glen, got any more pics of your truck?

haven't seen it.

looks nice
tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:18 PM   #6
Glen

not really, just kind of getting started. You can see some progress here: www.hotrodsbyglen.com
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:44 PM   #7
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

I've got airbags on my 72' with no drop spindles and C-Notch running full length headers and 2.5" exhaust under the frame its less than an inch from the ground aired out....

Salem, Oregon
PrimeredThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:27 AM   #8
72c10step
WHYBYNU when old will do?

PrimeredThunder,

What brand of full length headers are you running? I wnat to put full length headers on my truck, and future plans include a 2.5/4 drop or (preferably) airbags, but I don't want to scrape exhaust. How did you do it?
-1995 Polaris XCR600 Custom
-2003 Honda 300ex
72c10step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

I have a set of Heddman Hedders on my truck. They hang a noticeable distance below the frame as does teh exhaust, but with the airbags and the adjustability they have, its not a big deal, as I dont plan on driving teh truck aired out I used to have about a 3/4 drop on my truck before the 'bags and I never had any trouble with scraping. I can get pics of my setup once my digicam charges.

Kenny

Salem, Oregon
Old 08-14-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
grnddwn
belly dragger

Find another exhaust shop or tell those guys to get they're head outta their ass. I'm running a pair of shorty headers from a an 80s camaro into a single three inch flowmaster the pipes yY together just past the tranny then pass through the trailing arm crossmember that has been reinforced with a piece of 4 inch pipe my tailpipe then goes under my rearend and out the back lefthand corner of my truck. If your not bagging it you can go over the rearend laidout my exhaust does not touch the ground. Keep it up as high as you can because clipping your exhaust on something on the road can do wonders for your whole truck, and make sure it exits the underside of your truck or you will regret it. Very loud with the top on.
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:02 PM   #11
72 2wd Blazer
Get Down!

Re: Exhaust on lowered Blazer

Quote:
Originally posted by 72BLAZERDUDE
Im doing a 4/6 drop on my Blazer and also need to replace the exhaust sys. I have the shorty headers. I want to run the pipes up between the frame rails but I have talked to 3 muffler shops and all 3 gave me grief about doing it.

None of them wanted to cut the holes for the exhaust to run through the middle crossmember. Am I asking to much. Do I really need to put it up that high if I am not dropping it with air bags. Does this cause problems with welding it up what about the crossover. Just not sure what way to go.
Mine was done that way and it works great. It wasn't done the prettiest way, but it is under the truck and you don't see it anyway.
72 2wd Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:25 PM   #12
72c10step
WHYBYNU when old will do?

PrimeredThunder,

Does the collector on the headers run parallel to the frame, or is it at a downward angle? My friend has a pair of Flowtechs, and glasspacks that bolt directly to the collector flange, but they angle down so close to the grounnd, he has to switch them out and have a system bent up. I didn't want to run into the same problem.
-1995 Polaris XCR600 Custom
-2003 Honda 300ex
72c10step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:29 PM   #13
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

One of the collectors does angle downward, but when I had my system bent they fixed that. The best way to go is to have a custom system bent to your wants and needs, that is if you can find someone to do it

Kenny

Salem, Oregon
Old 08-14-2003, 11:08 PM   #14
72BLAZERDUDE

I finally found someone who will do it. The problem is that I have to cut the holes in the crossmember. Since I dont have access to a welder I was thinking I could make four plates out of 1/4 inch steel about 4 x 5 with 3 1/2 holes cut in the center. Cut 3 1/2 holes in the cross member and sandwich thewhole thing together with bolts. I realize that a plate on each side of the crossmember is overkill but I worry about the integrity of that because of the trailing arm mounting points. What do you think of this idea. I think I can cut the holes with a hole saw. Maybe I will get the plates made with all the holes put in. Then all I have to do is cut the holes in the crossmember.