The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
hdff

wiring help

can someone tell me if this spade on the fuse block is hot all of the time or switched hot by the ignition.
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: wiring help

-
That should be the cig lighter and I think it is hot all the time. Here is a pic of a labeled fuse box....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Grab a 12v test light (about a buck at an auto parts store). You'll know toot-sweet!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
hdff

i did check it. it is not hot until the key is turned on. but after i start the engine and drive it when i turn the key off it stays hot. after a while it is not hot or i can disconnect the battery and then reconnect it and it will not be hot. there are some aftermarket guages hooked to it and their lights stay on. i thought maybe a ground was not connected and actually found the 2 cab to engine not hooked up. hooked them up and and hoped my problem would go away.. no such luck . cig lighter works and is not hooked up there, wonder where it,s getting it's power from. in your pic the word cig is by the 1st spade by the 15a, i am referring to the 20a spade that has 2 wires on it now.. damn i think i need to go ahead and break down and put a wire harness in it i just don't know if it is something i can do........

locdoc i also have a cut gray wire on a stock plug on the spade above the word feed on your pic, do you know what goes on that spade. it is visible in my pic also

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 10-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
truckdude239

My question is what are you running that you've added so many hot wires?

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
truckdude239

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
i did check it. it is not hot until the key is turned on. but after i start the engine and drive it when i turn the key off it stays hot. after a while it is not hot or i can disconnect the battery and then reconnect it and it will not be hot. there are some aftermarket guages hooked to it and their lights stay on. i thought maybe a ground was not connected and actually found the 2 cab to engine not hooked up. hooked them up and and hoped my problem would go away.. no such luck . cig lighter works and is not hooked up there, wonder where it,s getting it's power from. in your pic the word cig is by the 1st spade by the 15a, i am referring to the 20a spade that has 2 wires on it now.. damn i think i need to go ahead and break down and put a wire harness in it i just don't know if it is something i can do........

locdoc i also have a cut gray wire on a stock plug on the spade above the word feed on your pic, do you know what goes on that spade. it is visible in my pic also

I Hate wiring and i was able to rewire my whole truck using an ammerican auto wire classic update kit was easy!! i did not buy ther crimpers but chrimped them with my cheapies and then solidered every connector

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The picture that Locdoc posted is labeled upside down from yours but the terminals are the same. The terminal you refer to is the radio spade and it is not the 20amp, that is for the tail /stop/ fuse. If you look closely at the word radio, you'll notice the small arrow pointing to the terminal in question. You have a piggyback spade on it for the two wires to connect to.

It is possible that one of those wires goes to a latching relay which holds power until current is removed from it. It would be like the headlight shutoff feature on all the newer cars.It's hard to tell without knowing what the wire goes to. To check it pull the radio fuse and see if it has power when you turn the key on.

The cutoff gray wire you ask about is a terminal off the panel lights fuse to feed a gauge light or some other small amp draw. A 20 gauge gray wire leads off the back of the PNL LTS fuse next to it and goes to the dash cluster. Check it for power when you turn on the headlight switch and pull the PNL LTS fuse.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
70shortfleet

I think LocDoc is correct and he is pointing to the space to the left of the radio section. Just my opinion I could be wrong
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
I think LocDoc is correct and he is pointing to the space to the left of the radio section. Just my opinion I could be wrong
LocDoc is correct and your opinion is correct, however this is what the OP is talking about. Quoted in post 4. At least that's how I interpret it.

Quote:
cig lighter works and is not hooked up there, wonder where it,s getting it's power from. in your pic the word cig is by the 1st spade by the 15a, i am referring to the 20a spade that has 2 wires on it now.. damn i think i need to go ahead and break down and put a wire harness in it i just don't know if it is something i can do........

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
My question is what are you running that you've added so many hot wires?
i am trying to figure it out too!!i bought this truck in june,drove from houston to missouri to get it and it was not disclosed that the wiring was so whored up(along with some other things). didn't find that out till i got her home. the split spade that i am pointing to goes to the lighting on a set of after market guages. why he ran 2 wires instead of one is a mystery to me. i'm not sure where the others go yet i have been to busy to get up under the dash to check it out.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
LocDoc is correct and your opinion is correct, however this is what the OP is talking about. Quoted in post 4. At least that's how I interpret it.
correct the one with 2 spades, red crimps to black wires. both wires go to 3 aftermarket guages for lighting. i am thinking about removing the AM guages and hooking the stock ones back up

Last edited by hdff; 10-09-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
The picture that Locdoc posted is labeled upside down from yours but the terminals are the same. The terminal you refer to is the radio spade and it is not the 20amp, that is for the tail /stop/ fuse. If you look closely at the word radio, you'll notice the small arrow pointing to the terminal in question. You have a piggyback spade on it for the two wires to connect to.

It is possible that one of those wires goes to a latching relay which holds power until current is removed from it. It would be like the headlight shutoff feature on all the newer cars.It's hard to tell without knowing what the wire goes to. To check it pull the radio fuse and see if it has power when you turn the key on.

The cutoff gray wire you ask about is a terminal off the panel lights fuse to feed a gauge light or some other small amp draw. A 20 gauge gray wire leads off the back of the PNL LTS fuse next to it and goes to the dash cluster. Check it for power when you turn on the headlight switch and pull the PNL LTS fuse.
i checked the gray wire and it was not hot but i did not check it with the lights on, i will do that when i get home from work. there is the other part of it (i think) down there also. so where should it go????????? strange thing is the dash lights work and i think they dim... i'll check that also.

thanks to all for all of the helpful info. this site is a GREAT place!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
70STOVEBOLT

Does the light for the heater controls work? That may be the gray wire you are talking about.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Does the light for the heater controls work? That may be the gray wire you are talking about.
no, if i remember right the wires to them were cut.
damn i hate half ass work like this. the guy did a top noch job on some things and other things are all rigged up!!!! very

another issue i am fixing to attempt is to hook up the neutral safety switch and back up lights, maybe i am anal like my wife says but i like things that are suppose to be there and hooked up to be there and be working..

Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
70STOVEBOLT

It will only be one wire for the heater control lights. That wire comes from the harness and is not "plugged in" to the fuse box. Not sure what the deal is with the terminal not being hot all the time...

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #16
hdff

Ok the gray wire did get hot with the headlight switch and I chased it the other way and it did go to the ac controls light. Hooked it up and 1worked and the wire is pulled out of the other socket so I will need to get a new one.