The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
gmebey

Parts Washer Solvent with Water

I just picked up a 20 gal Harbor Freight parts washer and 5 gal bucket of "parts cleaning solvent", which according to the MSDS is "mineral spirits, regular" manufactured by EMCO Chemical Distributors.

To my surprise I found out that 5 gallons wasn't enough to prime the pump and at $50 a bucket I really don't want to buy another one unless I have to.

Anyway my questions are:
1) How much solvent should I expect to use for proper function?

2) What are other sources for finding solvent?

3) I have seen post on other boards about adding a couple gallons of water to allow the solvent to float on top lowing the amount of solvent required and to make a capture layer to trap dirt. Is this a good idea?

4) On one post someone mentioned that actual solvent will attack the pump. Is this true with "mineral spirits"?

Oh BTW my parts washer is outside due to limited garage space, and I tarp it to keep out rain. I live in Colorado.
gmebey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
gmebey

Re: Parts Washer Solvent with Water

UPDATE:

Based on my efforts tonight....

1) 8 gallons minimum. I used 1-gallon jugs filled with water to raise the solvent level enough to allow the pump to work, that was how I found out I need about 8-gallons.

2) I called a local bulk oil supplier and found out that if I bring my own 5-gallon bucket the solvent is only ~$6.50 a gallon. MOST parts washer solvent is mineral spirits, just check the MSDS sheet for any solvent.

3) After some research I found out that the specific gravity of the solvent is ~0.8 and since water is 1.0, so I would think the idea of adding water would work. But at ~$6.50 a gallon for additional solvent it is isn't worth it.

4) After more digging on the internet. Even if it does, which I doubt since most plastics are resistant to mineral spirits..... a low cost replacement is the Black Bull PWP20 for ~$23 on Amazon
Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmebey View Post
Oh BTW my parts washer is outside due to limited garage space, and I tarp it to keep out rain. I live in Colorado.
while a parts cleaner is handy in a commercial shop, i've never had the need for one
dealing with recycling of the solvent and fire hazard is more than i'm willing to handle
through the whole rebuild process of my 58 pickup i used a double wall oil drain pan

walmart drain pan $40

i buy a plastic one gallon jug of mineral spirits and use a lab wash bottle to spray ms onto any part i'm cleaning
you can scrub a starter, motor mount by placing the part in the pan or wash a truck frame by placing the drain pan under the frame

ebay wash bottle $8

after washing a part i pour the dirty solvent into a separate jug and leave it to settle out
the longer you leave it to settle, the cleaner the old solvent will get
a week will separate the solids, a month will separate to dang near clear mineral spirits
i pour the top portion into the clean jug and the rest into my oil recycling jug
i probably used 5 gallons of mineral spirits total in 10 years of parts washing

i find i need a parts washer in spurts maybe i use it for a full month and then not again for 6 months
my parts washer hangs on the wall in my shop and in 2 gallon jugs when not in use

behind the column

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
magicoolbus

I did the same thing as you did. When I bought gallon cans of mineral spirits, I dumped them in the 20 gal HF washer and then just filled the empties up with water and put them under the supplied metal shelf. Works like a champ. I bought 5 and used 4. I have a spare to top off when needed.
Good work figuring out how to stretch 5 gallons. I don't think I would use the water, even thought the SG are different, you will still have some inner mixing, during agitation of the solvent- think Italian dressing, separate in fridge, couple of shakes and it's mixed. Also, not a fan of the water on the bottom of the tank, which may cause rust.
JB
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
gmebey

_Ogre,

That was the way I did small projects, but now that I have a part washer I don't know I did without. Today was the second day using it and it saved me tons of time. I cleaned up the upper and lower A-arms.

JB,

At one point I was considering using bricks instead of jugs of water.

An new question,
I have been using the 5mil blue nitrile gloves but they seem to rip easy. What would you recommend for gloves?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You can also try your local pressure washer supply co. The big pressure washer companies all make parts washers that are basically an industrial dish washer. They use a low foaming water based degreaser for parts washing. Just mix it up and use instead of flammable solvents. The machines are spendy but the degreaser isn't too bad. Of course the machine is a load it , start it and come back to clean parts deal so usually only found in big stealership shops or industrial shops. The solvent is something like "Simple Green", Purple Power, or "The Right Stuff". same stuff with different dyes and additives. The Hotsy, and Landa version are a powdered formula with low foam.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #7
68c10airstream

The main cleaner i use for laundry, ink removal, cleaning varnished up ls parts etc. is called "LA's totally awesome cleaner". A $1.00 for a quart bottle at the dollar store. Get the original cleaner which is light yellow in color. I tried their orange colored degreaser and it didn't clean up the varnished ls parts any where near as good as the yellow cleaner. You need to apply it, wait a bit, rinse and repeat. Sticky wrist pins after 3 wet/rinse cycled were all freed up. Use it full strength for car parts, dilute as needed for other cleaning. My mother in law has used it for 40 years, and initially i didn't listen to her. Do you know the difference between outlaws and inlaws? Outlaws are wanted!!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
gmebey

I also use LA Totally Awasume cleaner around my WOOD shop. It bears out the $20 blade / router bit cleaners, and will clean dried glue off tools.

I will give it a try on some greasy auto parts.