The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2003, 07:58 AM   #1
VTKidder

CST trim attach issues

I wanted to paint my truck white on top, then red on the bottom like many CST's came through. The issue I'm running into is on the chrome trim that goes around the backside of the cab that would separate the two colors. I want to install this trim but....there's always a but....the trim attaches to the cab a little differently. There are metal studs that look like nail heads coming out of the cab maybe 1/4". On those studs, a rectangular piece of plastic with an oval hole in placed, then the chrome trim snaps onto these plastic pieces. My truck does not have these studs coming out of it on the backside of the cab, and frankly, I don't know how they attach to the cab. Either way, I want to install this trim, but it appears I'm F'ed...any advice? Thanks.

-adam
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:03 AM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

The easy way out would be to lay out where the trim goes with a chaukline, then install the plastic clips with screws...you will need to put a thin washer between the clips and the cab so the clips won't be flat against the cab so the trim will snap on. I would do all this before you paint and reinstall after.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #3
VTKidder

Good point Tom....sounds like it'd work. I'm a little worried about adding screws after paint; the holes will be painted, but adding screws will remove paint from the holes, and might end up bleeding rust out the holes and down the backside of the cab after?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #4
Yellow Cheyenne

Don't remember where I saw it, but someone has a method of spotwelding the studs on. Might talk to some body shops to see if any of them can do it for you before painting.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #5
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I think it would be eazier to pinstripe it to separate the two-tone or even better airbrush the molding on, that would be tight...
Old 08-14-2003, 12:46 PM   #6
VTKidder

The solution lies in our trusted members. GMC Pauls sells the entire trim kit with clips for $85, then screw in studs that the clips mount to for $6. By all means the way to go! That makes things a bit easier!

Link to the clips and screw in studs

Link to the cab paint divider trim

You've gotta scroll down and search descriptions, but it's there.