The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
supertrkr

Question Brake issues driving me bonkers!

Hey guys. I'm having trouble with nailing down a brake issue. So here's the skinny.
1968 C-10 with manual brakes
CPP Disc brake conversion rotors calipers and spindles.
CPP 1" bore disc/drum aluminum master with prop valve
Ford 9" out back with drum brakes

So here's the issue and what I've tried. My pedal is garbage. The pedal goes 3/4 of the way down before the brakes start to work. I've bench bled the master 3 different times. I used a power blender to bleed 3 16 oz bottles of brake fluid the the system. I clamped off all the brake lines and the pedal is rock hard. I unclamp the rear line and the pedal goes down about 1/4 inch. I reclamp the rear line and undo the front clamps and the pedal goes back to crap. The rear brakes are adjusted up. I know that's telling me that there is a problem with the front somewhere between the clamp and the caliper. Has anybody experienced this? I spoke with a CPP tech and was told I had a problem that had them stumped. Basically they sold me a longer rod and clevis for the pedal against my better judgement. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
supertrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
dmack91

Re: Brake issues driving me bonkers!

Just a basic question. Are the bleeder screws on the front calipers at the highest point in their (the caliper's) reservoir? I know some of the calipers can be mounted on either side but it puts the bleeder screw low and allows air in the internal cavity above the bleeder screw.

Good luck with it - you already found the problem it took me 2+ weeks on my 9". I hadn't adjusted up the rear star adjusters. Felt stupid but at least it was a simple fix.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
Blown06

What dmack said, seen it before where calipers get mixed up or you get the wrong part.
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #4
supertrkr

Both bleeder are facing up. I don't know the master might be bad or the prop valve or a caliper or two. Driving me crazy! Lol
Old 10-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #5
supertrkr

Hey dmack I had one of those moments too. Lol couldnt figure our why the front hoses were leaking. Well they were on upside down. So don't feel bad. Lol
Old 10-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Blown06

Bleeders are at the highest point? Not just facing up but take a good look and see that the are at the highest point. Not being a wise butt or anything, tried chasing a similar problem with a friend on a jeep. Bleeders weren't at the highest point, leaving an air cushion in the caliper. Found out we had been given the wrong caliper to begin with.

Sounds like air in the caliper though, that's about the only ideas I can toss out without actually putting my hands on it. I'd be interested to hear what you finally find though, good luck.
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #7
supertrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown06 View Post
Bleeders are at the highest point? Not just facing up but take a good look and see that the are at the highest point. Not being a wise butt or anything, tried chasing a similar problem with a friend on a jeep. Bleeders weren't at the highest point, leaving an air cushion in the caliper. Found out we had been given the wrong caliper to begin with.

Sounds like air in the caliper though, that's about the only ideas I can toss out without actually putting my hands on it. I'd be interested to hear what you finally find though, good luck.
I'mgoing to pull the wheels tomorrow to verify that the calipers are straight on the brackets and I'll look at the way the bleeders sit too. But I remember correctly if I swapped the calipers the bleeders would be on the bottom. I definitely check it again. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
cdowns

did you adjust the pushrods for proper operation?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
geezer#99

Did you change the pedal ratio?
With a booster you need about 4.5 to 1 ratio.
Manual brakes have a 6 to 1 ratio.
Easy fix is to drill a hole 1 inch lower in the pedal and move the pushrod there.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
70CHEVYBB

Are the hoses new?
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
did you change the pedal ratio?
Easy fix is to drill a hole 1 inch lower in the pedal and move the pushrod there.
+1
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
tony58

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrkr View Post
Hey guys. I'm having trouble with nailing down a brake issue. So here's the skinny.
1968 C-10 with manual brakes
CPP Disc brake conversion rotors calipers and spindles.
CPP 1" bore disc/drum aluminum master with prop valve
Ford 9" out back with drum brakes

So here's the issue and what I've tried. My pedal is garbage. The pedal goes 3/4 of the way down before the brakes start to work. I've bench bled the master 3 different times. I used a power blender to bleed 3 16 oz bottles of brake fluid the the system. I clamped off all the brake lines and the pedal is rock hard. I unclamp the rear line and the pedal goes down about 1/4 inch. I reclamp the rear line and undo the front clamps and the pedal goes back to crap. The rear brakes are adjusted up. I know that's telling me that there is a problem with the front somewhere between the clamp and the caliper. Has anybody experienced this? I spoke with a CPP tech and was told I had a problem that had them stumped. Basically they sold me a longer rod and clevis for the pedal against my better judgement. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would suspect the cheap Chinese master to be bad on the front circuit. Make certain you have it plumbed correctly, the front port goes to the front brakes on that master. I'll bet if you go buy a 1" bore master (not from CPP) and change it it'll work
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
supertrkr

Quote:
Did you change the pedal ratio?
The truck is originally a manual brake truck. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but the pedal ratio should be correct. It had 4 wheel manual drum brakes from the factory. With that being said the ratio should be correct?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
supertrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVYBB View Post
Are the hoses new?
Yes the hoses are new and not flexing when pedal is pressed.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
supertrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony58 View Post
I would suspect the cheap Chinese master to be bad on the front circuit. Make certain you have it plumbed correctly, the front port goes to the front brakes on that master. I'll bet if you go buy a 1" bore master (not from CPP) and change it it'll work
I'm about ready just to do this just for the hell of it if everything else checks out.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
my67c20

So when you unclamp the front lines the pedal goes to crap, correct? How far are the pads moving? What is the rotor thickness? Sounds like you are pushing a lot of fluid.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrkr View Post
The truck is originally a manual brake truck. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but the pedal ratio should be correct. It had 4 wheel manual drum brakes from the factory. With that being said the ratio should be correct?
I think he assumed you purchased a power booster with your new master cylinder, I did too.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I think he assumed you purchased a power booster with your new master cylinder, I did too.
Yes I did!!
Next question is:
Did you install residual check valves (2# front, 10# rear) or did your new master come with them?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
supertrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
So when you unclamp the front lines the pedal goes to crap, correct? How far are the pads moving? What is the rotor thickness? Sounds like you are pushing a lot of fluid.
The rotors are new and have never been turned. As far as piston travel I haven't tore that far into but stay posted it's happening today. Lol
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
supertrkr

Quote:
Yes I did!!
Next question is:
Did you install residual check valves (2# front, 10# rear) or did your new master come with them?
I didn't install any valves. The new master came with a new prop valve and according to CPP tech all 3 times I've called I was told I didn't need either of them. But when they say "you have a problem that has us stumped" I'm losing faith in their tech support real quick.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
geezer#99

You always need check valves unless the master has them already.
The older masters had them in the ports.
They keep the fluid (under slight pressure) in the line and keep air from being pulled in on the cylinders.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
ERASER5

X2 on the 10# residual valve for the drums. The 2# valve for the front is optional. sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. If I were you, I would install both and recheck. On some systems, the 2# front residual valve will drag the front brakes. If it does, the heat will keep adding pressure until you are near locked. Rare occurrence, but it can (did) happen.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
supertrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
X2 on the 10# residual valve for the drums. The 2# valve for the front is optional. sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. If I were you, I would install both and recheck. On some systems, the 2# front residual valve will drag the front brakes. If it does, the heat will keep adding pressure until you are near locked. Rare occurrence, but it can (did) happen.
OK so the beautiful tech support is full of crap. Lol Now with these valves do they get plumbed before or after the prop valve?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #24
tony58

Quote:
You always need check valves unless the master has them already.
The older masters had them in the ports.
They keep the fluid (under slight pressure) in the line and keep air from being pulled in on the cylinders.
NO disc master comes with a residual pressure valve. They are commonly used only when the master is lower then the brakes so fluid doesn't drain back to the master. Drum masters usually had them, it's to help overcome the high force of the drum shoe springs so the brake shoes move without delay due to high spring pressure. With that said you can install 2lb RPV on disc's but in this case he has a problem and a RPV will just put a band aid on the problem. I still say the master is faulty, buy a cast iron 1" bore master and try it, worst case you're out $30 if it doesn't solve the problem. CPP should be sending you a new master but they hate having to warrant their junk Chinese parts.
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #25
supertrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony58 View Post
NO disc master comes with a residual pressure valve. They are commonly used only when the master is lower then the brakes so fluid doesn't drain back to the master. Drum masters usually had them, it's to help overcome the high force of the drum shoe springs so the brake shoes move without delay due to high spring pressure. With that said you can install 2lb RPV on disc's but in this case he has a problem and a RPV will just put a band aid on the problem. I still say the master is faulty, buy a cast iron 1" bore master and try it, worst case you're out $30 if it doesn't solve the problem. CPP should be sending you a new master but they hate having to warrant their junk Chinese parts.
Plus they're a P.I.A. to get a hold of. If I went with a master from a manual brake 69 corvette and used the CPP prop valve, would that combination work?