The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
ssuesens

Father Son Project - Need Paint Help

My son and I are working on a 71 C10 to be his daily driver. We have completed mechanical and are ready to move on to paint & body. I'm looking for someone in the DFW area we can hire to "mentor" us. I'd like to sit down with someone and build a plan to cover each step of the body work and paint work. Of course I"ll pay for their services but want to do most of the work our selves (I just need some guidance). I'd like weekly visits to check our progress and tell us what needs more attention. When our mentor is satisfied with the quality of the work, I'd ask them to shoot it for us.
Is this a plausible plan? What are the things we should consider?
Does anyone know someone in the north Fort Worth (Keller) TX area that they would recommend for this? Again, daily driver for a high school kid - NOT A SHOWCAR.
Thanks!!!!

64 C10 SWB
71 C10 LWB
72 C10 LWB
ssuesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Father Son Project - Need Paint Help

It is kinda hard to find a guy that has a good name or rep that is willing to spend his time giving back. A guy that has built a good rep normally won't do a drive by and shoot because he won't put his name with it and then have body work issues later or something like that. I use to have people all the time come to the shop wanting me to spray a car for them but they would get upset when I would not do it because they just don't understand how important the prep work is to getting one ready for paint.they would scuff around and then bring it to me with shiny spots all around[not saying you or your son would do any of this by any means]then get ticked if I tell them it is still not ready.
Do some searches on my screen name I have done some extensive posting helping the ones out who haven't done little to no body work before to their trucks and they in turn painted the whole thing themselves. You can to with some patience and a little common sense and reading the instructions a lot. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
davepl

Re: Father Son Project - Need Paint Help

Random thought: if its for a high school kid, put three-point retractable belts in it.

Unless you've got a buddy, I don't see how you'd find someone to do this for free. But there are a ton of videos, books, tutorials and stuff out there. Actually the BEST thing would be an evening class at the local community college or trade school, but that might be too much time invested.

If you're going to be replacing panels or rust, you'll need a MIG welder, and that's a good skill to start with.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote